• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• david s
    replied
    Re: First Clay Oven?

Originally posted by bestpizza View Post
    Hi I am first time poster on this site. I have been studying the different designs here for a while and almost ready for my build. This site is great and has a wealth of knowledge.

Can the fire for a clay oven be underneath the floor (in a firebox)with an open slot in the back of the oven floor to allow for the heat to rise into the oven to heat the oven?

This would allow for a clean surface for cooking and more surface area for baking without having to remove coals ash etc.

Hope I explained this clearly...

Thanks in adavance for your replies

bestpiza
    The flame from the fire will want to rise straight to the flue hole in the floor resulting in uneven floor heat. You will end up with a really hot rear of the oven while the front will be way too cold. The beauty of the cross draft oven with the flue at the front is that cool air enter at the bottom, combusts, circulates and is pulled across the dome before exiting at the top, resulting in excellent circulation and nice even heat distribution.

Leave a comment:

• bestpizza
    replied

It won't work then?

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Ash is sterile, how much cleaner do you need to get?

Leave a comment:

• Coloradoredusa
    replied

That sounds like it would be a good idea ,but I don't believe it would work.. the direct fire is what heats up the bricks and the heat sinks in to them and stays there.

Leave a comment:

• bestpizza
    started a topic First Clay Oven?

First Clay Oven?

Hi I am first time poster on this site. I have been studying the different designs here for a while and almost ready for my build. This site is great and has a wealth of knowledge.

Can the fire for a clay oven be underneath the floor (in a firebox)with an open slot in the back of the oven floor to allow for the heat to rise into the oven to heat the oven?

This would allow for a clean surface for cooking and more surface area for baking without having to remove coals ash etc.

Hope I explained this clearly...

Thanks in adavance for your replies

bestpiza
Working...
X