Hi folks,

So I've eventually got started.

My principal design challenge is that I live in rented accommodation... so I may need to move one day and would like some chance of taking my oven with me. At the very least, I don't want to make too many permanent changes to the property that would be difficult to reverse.

My first ideas were to make something portable like here but I quickly realised that putting something on wheels placed too many limitations on the design, increased the cost and were of limited use - if it worked at all, it would only allow me to move it about on a flat surface. As cobblerdave pointed out, the key is in the subtle difference between portable and moveable, so I began focussing on how to have some chance of moving the thing with a forklift should I need to move one day. I have seen some designs on a pallet - but I wanted something a little more elegant.

In the end, I noticed that the stones of our garden bench weren't mortared together - so this has become the basis of the design.

I made a very sturdy "pallet" to go on top of these stones using 9cm beams for garden decking. Although I intend covering the thing, the treated wood should give me a few years. Across 4 9cm beams I have placed 3cm treated planks and on top of those, 4x50cm paving stones to provide some separation between the wood and the vermicrete layer that will go on top.

So here's my "moveable" "slab":