Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my brick lined metal oven project (5 span pizza oven)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my brick lined metal oven project (5 span pizza oven)

Hi gang,

Have to confess I would love a 42"+ wood fired oven but as usual time and money become part of the viability equation. So I wanted an oven that was:

-large enough for a 12" pizza at a time

-heat up in 30 mins

-movable if I wanted/needed to

-would achieve 800F

-cost under $500

and here is what it became!

16 gauge steel shell lined with mitered firebrick. 24" wide shell. No mortar, joints are tight due to the measuring of angles and dry fitting. This photo us upside down.

Re: my brick lined metal oven project (5 span pizza oven)

Here is the second use of it. Still learning and first time I tried to edit a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74nH...ature=youtu.be

The plan is to build a 32" version this spring and somehow make this 24" one portable for our homebrew events.

As you can see, no chimney and will add one to the next version simply for better draft.

Comment

Not an oven for the purist pompeii oven builders but it ticks your boxes. A small peel is easy enough to make and your video gets the message across.

Good job!
      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Looks good and great new way build to your brief.

Comment

Someday I would love a large outdoor permanent oven of course, but for now this will keep my tummy happy!

Comment

Hi Krusty

This is just what I'm looking for! I have built a large dome oven but I'm now moving to a place with a smaller garden and thus not enough space for something massive! Do you have any more photos of the build?

Comment

Mike,

It is super simple and will see if I can dig up a few more. Right now it is buried in about 30 cm / 12" of snow but still works great! The basic principle was to take a piece of 16 gauge steel and form it to hold std 9" firebricks. If you think of how a good old fashioned stone bridge is built, it is along the same idea with the arch kept in place with the metal shell over top. You will need access to a tile saw to cut miters with a 10" blade. Took me a couple evenings and a few beer to get together. If you do an internet search on that company who makes a wood pellet fired oven, the metal shell is just like that except lined with firebrick, and a bit bigger. Burns real wood though

Krusty

Comment

That's great thanks for the advice! I think I'll go with that plan but add an arch and chinney on the front. I may try and expand it outwards a bit so internally its more octanganal. Will play around with cad and see how it goes.

One thing I learnt from my first build is that it's vital to have some prep/clean surface area next to your oven so my plan is to build a small outdoor kitchen with BBQ on one side, WFO in the corner and a small length of worktop on the other side. I'll start a thread when it comes to it!

Cheers for the help mate.

Comment

Krusty, did you use stainless? If not I shouldn't expect the outer shell to last too long.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                  X