Steel lined oven. Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel lined oven. Help please.

I am going to start building an oven with steel liner and steel outer shell with about 8-10 inches between the two filled with rocks and sand to retain heat and then insulate over that. Is it better to have the inner liner thin like 1/4-3/8 steel to let the heat get to the rocks or I have 1" thick material if that would be better?

Thanks for any advice.

Wade

Re: Steel lined oven. Help please.

I'm just about to build a Vault oven using a 12mm thick mild steel half tube, then brick over the outside. I'll try and keep you updated.

Comment

If the unit of 1/4-3/8 is inches, it would be fine. see Wiley's oven. It has pretty close to that layer of steel. Mine (under construction) is even 2 mm thick steel too. I guess it will outlive me. It is surprising that 1 inch of steel takes longer to heat up than 1 inch of bricks when considering volumes, because steel is far denser even it is more conductive. If I were to exploit steel in my oven to conduct heat, I wouldn't go thicker than necessary just to support the weight of thermal mass. 10 mm max I guess.
      BTW isn't 8-10 thick layer of rocks too much of thermal mass or you have special design intentions?
      Last edited by v12spirit; 01-31-2015, 06:17 AM.
      Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
      I forgot who said that.

Comment

Got my 42" diameter propane tank domes.

[/IMG]

Comment

looks like Dolly Partons Bra

Comment

Originally posted by wadedc View Post
            I am going to start building an oven with steel liner and steel outer shell with about 8-10 inches between the two filled with rocks and sand to retain heat and then insulate over that. Is it better to have the inner liner thin like 1/4-3/8 steel to let the heat get to the rocks or I have 1" thick material if that would be better?

Thanks for any advice.

Wade
            1/4 inch is fine , you want the heat to penetrate to the thermal mass and heat that up as soon as possible.

I would think 10 inches of sand would take a very long time to heat up , i would use no more than about 3 or 4 inches , with an insulating layer around that , it would heat up quicker and the insulation layer would hold the heat.

Are you using both domes as outer and inner shell , or do you have another plan ?

Comment

interesting project. Looking forward to your progress.

Texman
              Texman Kitchen
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Working...
              X