Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pumice oven build/portable oven

hey all -
    I spent the last few hours on the forum and my head is spinning a bit. Maybe someone could point me in the right direction: i'd like to build a castable oven that is moveable by two people. I rent and cannnot have a permanent oven. I found a build on youtube of a guy using ground pumice as his main building material and the oven looks really great and is moveable. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oREp3JoV1Wk. After spending some time here I have a few concerns about the design/build:
    1. it seems that this oven is very thin - he shows it being fired to 850, but my understanding is I want to get even higher than that for good pizza? he has another video of this same material being fired to over 1000 so it seems that it is very strong at heat.
    2. how thick would you make the oven to retain its cooking properties but still have it remain moveable? a thinner oven has less mass and is therefore not able to store as much heat as a larger oven right? Same for insulation - if its not insulated well, it will cool quicker, making it difficult to get it as hot and be able to prolong cooking for baking after firing for pizza. Do I have a good grasp there?
    3. Would a good compromise be to make the oven a little thinner, but insulate better? this could keep the weight down but not let as much heat escape and still keep the oven move-able.
    4. any thoughts in general on that guy's design and build? I have found a source for pumice mixes and its fairly cheap. my understanding is that its a refractory material and thats good for a pizza oven build. I have also read some claims that it insulates well itself - does that make sense? If it insulates well then I would assume that its not as good of a material for thermal mass.

Anything else i'm missing? Thanks!
Working...
X