Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to move my oven?

Hi folks,

Two years ago - with a lot of help from you guys, I built a moveable 26" oven. Well... the time has come to move it. We live in a rented house and we are buying - so it's time to move the oven. The question is how?!

The oven is built on a sturdy wooden frame of 9cm treated wooden beams. The wooden frame is just sitting on top of the stone supports and can, in theory, be lifted off. Originally, I was thinking of using a forklift. It would cost around €250 to rent for the day. However, I suspect you may need proof of some sort of experience to use one, so it may not be that simple. Then pop it in the back of a van and lift it back out at the other end.

The destination is only about 500m away but there are some gradients on the route.

Any one else any ideas for a cost effective way to move it? Access to the garden is possible, but there is a change in level which may cause problems. I suppose some sort of crane could lift it out - might be expensive?

A last resort option would be to just chisel it apart and salvage the dome sections inside and rebuild. That would be a pity though.

Thoughts?
    My oven on a pallet build thread

Rent an all terrain lift with 4 wheel drive. Unless the slope in your yard is extreme, you should be able to navigate it. Remember the oven is heavy, so the combination of slope and leverage require a heavy machine that will not tip over with the oven weight on board. If you have no experience in these matters, then strongly consider hiring a contractor who will be able to look at the situation and determine how big of challenge this will be. A guy with a decent sized backhoe should be able to handle this and could well be the best money spent in the long run. Perhaps you could work out a trade for pizza or assist in building the contractors own oven.
    The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Working...
    X