Clay oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay oven build

I thought I would add photos of my build. This is the 3rd oven of this type that I have built. Unfortunately, I couldnt take photos during construction as I was on my own, and my hands were covered in the clay mixture.

There is 6" of Perlite/cement insulation under the floor. The floor and skirts are fire bricks. After a week or so of drying I will build the front arch/flue, then add 6" of perlite/cement over the dome as insulation.

The dome is equal parts of ball clay, stone dust, bricklayers sand along with 20(ish) % portland cement and rope fibres. This was applied in 4 layers.

Hope this may help someone considering the same project :-)

I couldn't resist trying the oven last weekend before insulating. It cooked great pizza. The dome did crack but I was expecting it to, as both of the other ovens I built cracked too. It is not really an issue.

I'm glad I spent the extra money on the fire bricks for the floor rather than clay pavers. The pizza dough came out perfect. Nice and crisp. I used Colivta Tipo 00 flour blended with 20% wholemeal, and a quick rise ( it was spur of the moment to try it out). I forgot to take pictures, but I will do next time.

I applied a good 5" of perlite/cement 5 days ago, so I will fire it tonight to drive out the remaining moisture, then have pizza in 2 days. I got some Caputo flour, so have just made up some dough, and it's in the fridge for a 48 hour rise 😊😊.

I just need to decide how I am going to finish it off. I am leaning towards mosaic tiles.

Here's a couple of photo's of the progress. The outdoor kitchen is coming along. We now have running water 😊

Comment

Comment

Maiden voyage 👍

Comment

Congratulations, those pizzas look pretty good
          I really like this clay dome build. I'm sure it wasn't a simple build, but it seems simpler than firebricks. How is the clay holding up and how long does this type of oven retain the heat for?

Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris

Yes, I am happy with it (once again)

The first oven I built was in 2008, and it is still going well. I don't know how long it will last, but should last for many, many years.

Here is a link with all the info you will need to build this oven. Just insulate under the floor rather than using crushed granite. I also built it so I could fit a door without all the heat escaping up the flue, so I can use it for bread making.

I don't yet know how long it retains heat for. My next project is to build an insulated oven door, so I will report back once I have given it a go.

http://www.bhgshop.com.au/blogs/how-...ood-fired-oven

Comment

Working...
            X