Looking for castable refractory suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for castable refractory suggestions

I have finally decided to go ahead and builf a WFO. Over the past few years, I have tried to make do with a contraption I built out of a Weber grill, but the fuel usage is way too high and the amount of retained heat is too low to do a good job. Anyway, I have settled on building a cast oven. I am lucky enough to work just a few miles away from Louisville Firebrick - the manufacturer/distributer of US Refactories. That's the good news, the bad news is that their website lists the following under castables:
    Castables
    - Lou Cast FS
    - Lou Cast 24
    - Lou Cast 25
    - Lou Cast 26
    - Lou Cast 27
    - Lou Cast 28
    - Lou Cast 29
    - Boiler Cast
    - Lou Cast 3000
    - Lou Cast 90
    - Lou Cast 94
    - Lou Cast 96

I have not been able to find any specs for any of these products and after a few hours of searching this forum, I have been able to find that I want a dense castable. Are there any specs on castable that I should be aware of when I go to visit the shop?
    Cheers!
    Steve

There's two main types of castable refractories, insulative and dense. You need to use the dense for casts. Also look for the one with the largest % of Aluminate, over 40% is usually the range for dense castables.

Comment

As a WFO only reaches temps of around 600C max there is little point selecting one that has a max service temp of 1500 C. Also the density should be in the region of 1.9 Kg/Litre (1900 Kg/m3). Sorry you may need to do an imperial conversion. Go to the manufacturer with this info and see what they offer.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Armed with a little bit of data, I paid a visit to Louisville Fire Brick today. It was a very worthwhile trip. It looks like I have found my source for almost all of the hard to find items. The staff recommends a product called Lou Cast 27. It has a density of 130 lbs/ft3 (2.1 Kg/liter), a service temperature of 2700F (overkill) and a Al2O3 content of 48.1%. The 2 other vitally important stats are that it is $35/50lb bag and they always have a couple of pallets in stock.

They also stock medium duty fire brick ($2.25), fire clay ($25/50lb) and CeraBlanket (1"x24"x25' for $60). They don't stock CaSil board, but I can find that online.

I'll keep planning for a little while longer, but the make vs buy decision is looking like a no-brainer for me.

If you are reasonably close to Louisville, KY, I would definitely recommend this place as a supply house.
        Last edited by sriceky; 04-06-2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X