Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urgent - Can stainless steel needles come loose and fall onto food?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urgent - Can stainless steel needles come loose and fall onto food?

Hi,

I'm getting ready to mix tonight and something occured to me, with time is it possible for stainless needles to flake off and fall onto oven floor?

Is there any trick to prevent the needles from being on the inner surface?I'm thinking of trowling on a thin needleless layer first, is that ok?

Thx,

J

Last edited by Jumbalaya; 04-08-2017, 09:58 AM.

No, I've never encountered any needles flaking off the inner surface. However, if you're really worried about it you could do a thin layer first, but work over it asap because you don't want to risk that thin layer delaminating. Are you using homebrew or a proprietary castable?
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Using homebrew. Since there are so many needles I though some maybe wind up against the wet newspaper not well embedded in the concrete mix. I suppose I could inspect the inside and wire brush it.

Comment

The addition of needles makes the mix a little more difficult to handle, so I suggest you don't go any more than 2% of the dry weight. A stiff scrubbing or wire brush should suffice.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Needles ain't going anywhere, the thin precast layer will probably crumble off a little at a time for the life of the oven. There is no such thing as a dumb question, so it is good to ask. Don't overthink the project and don't be afraid to ask.
          The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

Working...
          X