No announcement yet.

Onni Pro - any tips? thoughts? pellets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onni Pro - any tips? thoughts? pellets?

Hi
    I just ordered an Ooni Pro. It seems like it will meet my needs until I can get/build something more substantial - someday dreams.

I know that it is much different than a "real" oven but I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one. Any tips, suggestions?

I looked at ordering an additional fire box that lets you use wood pellets but Ooni stopped making them and I heard the box design wasn't that great at heating the oven anyways. If I did want to use some pellets do you think I would be able to sneak a few in with the charcoal/hardwood? The Ooni comes with a charcoal/firewood basket attached to the back. Ooni says this might "damage" the oven - really? Hardwood chunks aren't easy to find where I live - I would need to drive into the city (Calgary) - pellets though are easy to find. Would a few pellets on some charcoal add a bit of authenticy to the pizza?

Thanks for your time.

As long as you don't overheat the oven, you'll be fine. Overheating is possible with wood also.

I've built a similar oven some years ago. It works but the type of oven (no-mass) is very sensitive to flame size and needs a lot of supervision. Therefore, a pellets burner or gas makes sense.

Comment

Thanks. I didn’t realize that I could overheat it. They say there is a bit of insulation between the layers of the dome. I don’t know if this will help with temperature or not. I’m sure it will be a bit fiddly to use. Hopefully I can get some good pizza out of it.

Comment

Working...
      X