Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Is it Safe to GRIND a cast pericrete dome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Is it Safe to GRIND a cast pericrete dome?

Hello everyone, in an attempt to get out of the house a bit during this pandemic, my wife finally agreed to let me build a "starter oven" before I undertake a full size brick built oven.
    For this first attempt I began with an exercise ball (75cm which was the largest I could find in our area,) but since I wanted it slightly larger interior dome I packed sand around the ball until I got to a 29" diameter dome with a wood- wrapped with cardboard form for the landing area (evidently a bad idea). Casting went reasonably well using a 5-1 Perlite to concrete mix. I was able to put 2 layers on my form to get to about a 3" pericrete dome. Now that I have deflated the ball and drained most of the sand, I see that part of the cardboard side walls of the landing area must have given way do to the water in the mixture. I have a 3" blob that squeezed through the wooden slats holding the cardboard into shape (see attached).

My question. Now that the pericrete has cured for a few weeks is it safe to use an angle grinder to buff out the blob, or will the vibration of the grinder cause too much damage to the rest of the dome. I am currently waiting for ceramic blanket to arrive so I have some time to take care of this now, or would it be better to wait until I have the insulation applied and rendered with the exterior stucco coating to give the dome more rigidity before attempting to grind it.

Thanks & Please help
    Attached Files

You can grind it back now. As a 5:1 vermicrete mix is quite weak it will grind really easily. I'd be using a diamond blade on an angle grinder. Wear a good mask. Because the mix contains portland cement it will continue to increase in strength if you keep it covered for a week. As there is so much free water in the mix, way more than is required for the hydration process, the drying of the casting will be slow once you've uncovered it.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Sorry, don't take it as nitpicking! I am just curious. 75cm is already 30 inches (ok, 29.5") and you can actually inflate it to 31-32 inches easily with a compressor.

Comment

Working...
      X