Type N Masonry Cement for Homebrew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type N Masonry Cement for Homebrew?

Have the firebrick laid down and about to build the sand mold for a cast dome. Haven't been able to find hydrated lime. Can I use Type N Masonry Cement for Homebrew? I believe it is a mix of portland cement and hydrated lime and the standard mix for masonry mortar is 1 part of Masonry Cement to 3 parts sand. Can I use it for Homebrew with ratio 3/2/1 Sand/Type N Masonry Cement/fire clay? Can't find a lot of detail on the ingredients other than Masonry cement consists of portland or blended cement, plasticizers, and an air entraining agent, (basically assuming the Type N cement is ~1:1 portland:hydrated/hydraulic-lime.
    Thanks

HI Miran,

My quick answer is probably not. You may want to try and find the manufacturer's MSDS or Product Data sheet for the masonry cement that you are intending to use. They wont tell you all the inert proprietary ingredients but, it should note if pulverized limestone has been used to replace some or most of the hydrated lime. If so, you don't want it.

Here is a link to another post that I replied to an this topic.

Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Great thanks for the quick reply. You are probably correct and I will refrain from using it. One brand at Lowes does have some Calcium Hydroxide but is somewhere<20% of the mix but less than the limestone content. The other brands I found have zero. I have been rushing to get to casting before the temperature drops to freezing. This is probably my last chance for high 50's/low40's weather for an entire week. I can check the local lumberyard that opens on Monday for some S type hydrated lime. The hydrated lime is the only item I don't already have.

Found two brands at my local Lowes:

Lafarge type n masonry cement, from the MSDS(which is combined Type N and M)

Lafarge Masonry and Mortar Cement, Type N, Type M
      Mixture
      Cement, portland, 30 - 75%
      Limestone 20-50%
      Calcium hydroxide <20%
      Quartz<10%
      Gypsum 5-10%
      Magnesium oxide (MgO) <4%
      Calcium oxide <=1%

The other brand at Lowes is Lehigh but looking at the MSDS it just has limestone and no calcium hydroxide. The Quikrete Type N at HomeDepot also only has limestone.

Comment

I have not been able to locate hydrated lime at any brick yard or big box building supply anywhere in my area. One day, I was at my local farm supply store and happened to see a pallet of Type S hydrated lime. If you haven't already, you may want to expand your search.
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hydrated lime is limestone that has been calcined. ie it is heated to around 600C and the resulting material then reacts with water to act as a cementious material.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Found a bag at a local lumberyard for just $13. Cast my dome yesterday. Planning to empty the sand tomorrow and see how it turned out. Then cast the gallery the next day. Hopefully insulate and add a 10 to 1 perlite mix on the weekend. Then leave finish work for the spring. Haven´t yet decided on whether to build an enclosure with an integrated roof or just add a small roof with the chimney passing through it.

Comment

Working...
            X