Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocket powered oven

Good afternoon.

Here’s is a little project I started a couple of weeks ago.

I live in rural Manitoba Canada. We have 160 acres and no neighbors for two miles in every direction. We moved here with the plan of becoming self sustainable and to be prepared for when the lights go out. We raise chickens, turkeys and pigs and we have a huge garden.

One of my main concerns is to be able to bake, roast and dehydrate without electricity.

I used to work in Winnipeg at a steel plant, so metal is what I have for materials. I know a lot of people here are brick and masonry only, but this is what I’ve got.

So I started off with an 20 inch steel pipe with a 1/2 inch wall thickness. There’s a 3/8 inch slug welded in the back and a 12 gauge door. The chimney is 6 inch and the rocket stove is 5 inch .125 wall.
    The cooking surface is 1/2 inch steel, but I do plan on getting a pizza stone to replace it with. I’ll also make an expanded metal grate for dehydration and maybe grilling. Smoking too.

In my first trial, I burned twigs and sticks (poplar). I fired it for about 20 minutes and got up to a little over 450 degrees. I know I’ll never see 850-1000 degrees like a lot of you guys do, but if I can reach 550-600, I’ll be happy with that. I assume if I get some split hardwood like oak or Apple I should be able to do this.

I have not yet insulated anything, but I do plan on it.

I still need to seal up the door a little better and make some handles. Not too sure about paint yet.

Please check out the photos and let me know what you think. I already know that steel is not ideal and that it won’t retain heat like brick does.

Working...
X