Cast oven build - material query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast oven build - material query

Hi all, quick query regarding some materials. I’m about to start my 40inch cast oven build using the 3:1:1:1 homebrew method. I am located near Perth in Western Australia and for some reason I am having heaps of trouble finding Brickies Clay… my question is.. is there a something I can substitute/change to allow me to stick close to my original design ? Or alternatively does anyone know where I might track down some Brickies Clay in WA ?

Thanks, Sam.

cement Australia and Boral both make Bricklayers Clay. Give them a call to find out where to access it.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David. I have found a company who sell precast pizza oven domes and they sell a fire cement in 20kg bags. Any idea if this would be suitable replacement for the clay ? Presumably i would just need to add the sand ?

Thanks, Sam

Comment

Are you intending to make up your own castable mix using calcium aluminate cement? If so you should not use lime because it acts as an accelerant, making the already limited working time even shorter. Interestingly calcium silicate cement reacts the opposite way with lime, acting as a retarder.. you will also need to add burnout fibres to reduce the risk of steam spalling. An easier alternative would be to buy pre bagged castable refractory which contains high temperature aggregates as well as the burnout fibres, just add water.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
        X