Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My "Earthy" Outdoor Kitchen Build

Hi Toby,
    Most interesting. I have a question to see if I am interpreting what I see in the photos correctly: Is the only support for the chimney tile the lip of clay on the bottom edge or is there some other support?

Bests,
    Wiley

Comment

Originally posted by Wiley View Post
      Hi Toby,
      Most interesting. I have a question to see if I am interpreting what I see in the photos correctly: Is the only support for the chimney tile the lip of clay on the bottom edge or is there some other support?

Bests,
      Wiley
      Wiley,

Embedded in the clay are two angle irons supported by the bricks on the sides. In the mockup you can see supports. I guess I wasn't very clear on that, but I did leave the angle irons in and built the clay around it.
      Toby

Comment

Toby, My bad, I tried to edit my post as I spotted the two angle iron pieces just after posting.
        Thanks,
        Wiley

Comment

First Fire - newspaper and cardboard!
          Nothing collapsed or cracked (more than it was cracked anyway ).
          The sand mold was covered with newspaper to keep the clay from sticking to the sand. Most of it is still stuck up there, and you can see some of it burning off in the second pic.

Temps inside peaked right around 200F. Of course, it was 115F outside - got to love Arizona in July!
          Last edited by charger10s; 07-22-2009, 09:55 AM.
          Toby

Comment

Hooray, the first fire! You'll have pizza in no time!
            Nikki

Comment

Yikes Toby! I think your 1st fire occurred when the temp hit 115F. Your oven looks really rustic and beautiful. I don't know the properties of clay but the 100 deg per day they teach on this forum is a good rule. Can't wait to see the rest of the oven area finished. Oh, and some real food come out of the oven too
              Take care, Dino
              "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
              http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks Dino, it has been hot, I think I did most of the drying prior to the actual flames! The oven is really rustic at the moment, but soon I will be building an enclosure that I plan to fill with loose vermiculite/perlite.

I wish it were done already, as now we are in the monsoon season, so I'm playing a delicate game of chicken with the firing and the storms. So each day I light the fire as soon as I get home from work, then before the storms roll in (around 7pm lately), I scramble to put up a makeshift enclosure of tarps and 2x4's. It's pretty fun!

Got my first load of wood yesterday, all the pecan small splits that I could fit in the back of my VW bug; you should have seen the look on the wood loaders when I backed up to the pile.
                Toby

Comment

First Pizza!!
                  Saturday night, I started the dough using the recipe on the Pizza FB pdf. That was my first experience making any kind of dough, and I made a mess. It went ok thought, and I learned a lot. I'm sure I will get better as I practice more.

Sunday we had some friends over to help us with the "grand opening". I made the pizzas on a wooden peel, and then slid them onto my placing peel. That part went great, and I placed them perfectly in the oven with no problems! Thank you rice flour!

The first two pictures are the very first pizza, on the wooden peel, and then in the oven. Yes, I know, my pieces of mozzarella are huge! I did better on the subsequent pies. Well, the pizza cooked up great, nice and fast. I took it out of the oven on my sound steel peel, and paused for a quick picture, then I promptly dropped the pizza right on the ground! Unfortunately, you won't see a picture of that.

Quite a shock at first, but I bounced back and quickly got #2 in the oven. I changed tactics on that one; as soon as I brought the cooked pizza out, I slid it onto a wooden peel to carry into the house - much more stable!!
                  So, at least I have a good story to tell for years to come!

We also made some bread (going to try hearth bread next time) and muffins (not pictured).

Concerning the pizza, I must say all the stories are true, that was the best tasting pizza I have ever eaten, and our friends said the same thing. I was truly impressed, and I am so happy I started this project. Now, I just need to get re-motivated and build my enclosure.
                  Toby

Comment

Another wonderful Arizona summer day, first pizzas made with outside temperature around 110 degrees. Needless to say, we ate inside.

Here are some of my homemade tools. The door is the next project.
                    Toby

Comment

Magnificent! The story of your first pizza is one to remember, certainly!

What kind of door are you going to make?
                      Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by Modthyrth View Post
                        Magnificent! The story of your first pizza is one to remember, certainly!

What kind of door are you going to make?
                        I think I am going for one of the metal "hollow" doors that I can fill with my insulation board leftovers. I bought some scrap metal from somebody on Craigslist.

This will surely test my metal-working skills, but I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.
                        Toby

Comment

Nice looking 1st pizza! The bread is great too. Congratulations. Once your weather cools down, you'll have a great time hanging out by the oven.

Your tools are great. I'm just using short handled garden tools still. Did you do any welding on your tools or are they just cut to fit and bolted? I've kind of drawn the line at brick work and cement and I'm trying to avoid buying a welder just for tools and a door so I'm hoping to make something similar to yours.

thanks, Dino
                          "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
                            Nice looking 1st pizza! The bread is great too. Congratulations. Once your weather cools down, you'll have a great time hanging out by the oven.

Your tools are great. I'm just using short handled garden tools still. Did you do any welding on your tools or are they just cut to fit and bolted? I've kind of drawn the line at brick work and cement and I'm trying to avoid buying a welder just for tools and a door so I'm hoping to make something similar to yours.

thanks, Dino
                            Dino,

No welding on the the tools. The only power tools I used were a drill and an angle grinder. I bought a baking pan at the Goodwill store and cut it into 2 pieces, then using a chisel and hammer, punched some holes through it. Then I drill holes in the pipes and the pan, and bolted it all together. It's not perfect, but it works well, and the price was right!

The tricky part is drilling through the pipe, as the drill wants to "walk" off of center, but if you clamp the pipe down tight enough and take your time, it can be done.

I'm hoping I can do something similar with the door; I do have a small welder, but I'm not very good yet.

Toby
                            Last edited by charger10s; 07-30-2009, 06:42 AM.
                            Toby

Comment

this is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by ronzorelli View Post
                                this is awesome!
                                Thanks, it's been fun. I'm working on the enclosure right now, hopefully I'll have some pictures this weekend.
                                Toby

Comment

Working...
                                X