Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone worked with an Argentine style Horno?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone worked with an Argentine style Horno?

Hi -

It looks like my plans are coming closer to reality, but I've got some decisions to make.

I had been hoping to build a Pompeii, but between work, a special-needs daughter, and running a movement (Nia/Yoga/Dance) studio, time has been in short supply.

We have made the fortunate acquaintance of an Argentine contractor (who built us a gorgeous bridge [see picture] as an aesthetically acceptable alternative to a handicapped ramp, as well as a beautiful accessible bathroom), and are enlisting his aid in building our outdoor kitchen.

He is an excellent mason. At his home, he has a great parilla style grill, as well as an Argentine style horno oven. He can build the same for us, and comparing the price and labor between having him do that (using the materials from a Pompeii kit, which are a steal compared to local prices), and installing a comparable Casa 2G, the price is pretty close (mostly because he's being reeeeaally nice). (That is, comparing the horno and the Casa - the parilla we're doing either way).

I'm very tempted to have the artisan built oven. My only concern is the venting and airflow patterns don't look quite as efficient as the Italian-style forno. The horno has a door in the front, and a chimney in the back. For retained heat baking (post-fire), the door is shut, and the chimney has a stop-damper to help retain heat. The dome is also a little higher, which may be less pizza-friendly.

I plan to do a lot of bread baking, as well as pizza, so I'd appreciate any insights.

Thank you for your help

Namaste, y'all - Bill
    Attached Files
    Horno
    0.00%
    Forno
    80.00%
    Pie
    20.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Dancing Bear; 11-24-2009, 02:59 PM. Reason: Forgot my name (duh)

Re: Has anyone worked with an Argentine style Horno?

I would go Pompeii and I would not worry about adding extra mass unless you want to do multiple loads when you bake (and be warned - a one meter oven will need about 15 pounds of dough per batch to have enough humidity to give great crust. I am willing to guess that is as much as you want per baking event in which case I would not add extra mass. (the oven will heat up faster and be ready to use faster than if you add extra mass)

Good Luck!
    Jay

Comment

Nice ramp! We have a wood ramp and platform for loading the wheelchair into the car.

Have you thought of showing him the Forno Bravo plans and building one into your out door kitchen? I've studied the plans and with the great photo documents of the builds in these forums I'm convinced that I will build one in the future.

Good luck on what ever choice you make.
      Rod
      I would have a shot at the answer, if I had the appropriate question.

Comment

Thanks - we like it That was a work in progress picture - I'll have to take some more now that it's finished and has jasmine climbing on it.

I have considered asking him to do the build Pompeii style, but he knows the Argentine style really well, and I think I might be cramping his process.

I know whichever way we go it'll be great

Comment

My only concern is the venting and airflow patterns don't look quite as efficient as the Italian-style forno.
          Experience has shown, time and time again, that putting the vent anywhere except directly over the entry, outside the dome, wastes time, wood, and makes your oven extremely limited. The pompeii plans have been refined through experience.

We've also heard about "traditional" builders who don't see the need for insulation, particularly under the floor. If you pay someone to build your oven, be sure you understand the process, and observe his work carefully.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

. . . aaannnd that's kinda what I was thinkin'. Thank y'all for the affirmation

Comment

Working...
            X