Cracks!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracks!!!!!

So with the nearly full temp firing with blanket insulation on I noticed what looks like smoke or steam coming from some big cracks. How do I tell if is steam vs smoke. What is the best way to fix?

On a side note, on start up there seems to be a lot of smoke, any ideas? I am hoping the neighbors don't complain.

Re: Cracks!!!!!

Without knowing more, it's hard to tell. Your earlier thread said you used smoothset from thermal ceramics: a web search shows that is available in both wet heat setting and dry air setting versions, which are as different as chalk and cheese.

Mostly we advise people to ignore cracks unless it seems like the oven is structurally endangered.

We also advise bribing potentially troublesome neighbors with pizza.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

At start up there is always some smoke for first 5 mins or so. Make the fire really small to start with and there will be less. A new oven that is damp will also smoke more. Also try the "top down method" of lighting for less start up smoke.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Dmun, chalk and cheese, I like that. I am not sure which I have now. I thought it was the airset. I am ok to ignore a crack even though it may be smoke coming out?

I will send over a pizza tonight. Goint to make as go of it tonight.

Comment

Just checked and the bag said "dry"

Comment

Just checked and the bag said "dry"
            good - that's the stuff you want, not the wet stuff in tubs.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Happy to report the pizza to the neighbor trick worked wonders. I was a bit worried as all of the smoke seems to go right toward their house. They loved the pizza and even came over to check out the oven.

My pizzas went pretty good. I dropped the best looking one on the way back to the kitchen, rookie mistake. We ate them all up so they had the kids approval.

I even made bagels as the oven cooled a bit. Pretty good. Cant wait for next Friday to do it again.

Sean
              Last edited by seank; 04-03-2010, 10:17 AM. Reason: posted pics

Comment

Hehehe I'll try bribing my neighbors too. I've been worried that they will complain to the village association about the smoke from the curing fires.

Glad to know everyone is enjoying the oven, Sean. Keep churning out those pizzas.
                sigpic

Raffy's WFO Build Thread
                WFO Build Pics (Picasa)
                Add me on Facebook (write FornoBravo in the message)

Comment

Working...
                X