X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perlite layer then stucco?

Hi All,

Am going to finish up my oven. I have the top layer of perlite/cement on
    (w/ 5 to 1 mix). It has been covered all winter with plastic. I have been cooking. This is a whole lot of fun!!!

My question is do you put stucco directly onto the perlite which seems a little flakey?

My local building supply center recommended this product Merlex Stucco Manufactures - stucco arches first before the stucco. I think the poly prep also water seals so is that good or not good?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you.

jon bell

Re: Perlite layer then stucco?

I am not familiar with the product, but I did browse the lit, and it appears to be a base coat for an EIFS system. It still has to be troweled on, so it won't be any easier to do than regular stucco, harder in fact, because the stucco goes on much thicker (3/8") than the base coat (1/4").

Any waterproofing needs to be the final coat.

Comment

Thank you for the response.

Can I just put stucco directly on the perlite? Should it be stable?

If it rains is the stucco enough of a water barrier to not get real moist in the insulation layers?

We are planning on doing mosaic on top of the stucco.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

jon bell

Comment

Stucco is a general term. There are various ways of making it a relatively water resistant covering. I'm going to be using Quikrete Quikwall Surface Bonding Cement with Acrylic Fortifier, which is supposed to be highly water resistant. Over that I might do a final coat of something else, I'm not sure yet. I believe Thoroseal was mentioned to me at one point. I really don't know yet.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
        Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

"Can I just put stucco directly on the perlite?"

That is what I did. Worked perfectly. The pearlcrete is a rough enough texture that the stucco bonds well to it.

Remember that most "stuccos" are water "resistant" at best, so you may want to cover it with plastic or some sort of tarp during the rainy season.

Comment

Hey guys thank you for the responses.

Your info helped me feel better with my next step. After weighing all the input i got i am going to use the merlex product first and then go with the stucco and quickrete product that was mentioned. i'm pretty confident that this will not only stick well but give me some water proofing.

Thanks again. Very much appreciated.

jon bell

Comment

Hey Jon..
              I am a big fan of the Quikrete SBC, I used the acrylic fortifier in it as well... The only are I had a problem was that the liquid color they sell faded pretty quickly in the sun.... But since you will be doing a mosaic, that wont really matter.. Its very easy to work with, kinda like putting icing on a cake.. I put mine directly on my Vermicrete dome and had no problems at all

How about some pictures ???

Cheers
              Mark

Comment

Working...
              X