Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padding out the soldier course?

Hello

I'm using unusual shaped fire-bricks to build the dome. They are quite thin, only 2" thick, 9" x 8". I've cut them in half to make the soldier course .

They will be cut into quarters to build the rest of the dome. Giving me plenty of thermal mass.

Back to the soldier course. I want to add more depth to the 2". I was thinking of padding it out with normal/standard concrete. I will build a round former/shuttering (as we call it in the UK) around the bricks then pour in the concrete.

I know it's not ideal and a little un-orthodox, but I don't have enough bricks to double up for more thickness.

My only concern is how the concrete will hold up to the heat? The fire-bricks are facing the fire and I have seen concrete used to add thermal mass on bread ovens. I've also seen it used to strengthen the soldier course on a large commercial pizza oven. I have my fingers crossed I have a solution

Any advice/feedback will be appreciated

Mick

Re: Padding out the soldier course?

Why use a soldier course? I would cut them in quarters and stack the first 3 or so courses straight up.

George
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

I agree or at the very least why not cut them in half either on the 8" or the 9" then you would have at least 4 or 4 1/2" thickness? Or am I looking at this wrong?

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I've revisited/re-calculated and have plenty of bricks to do the soldier course narrow side in. It means loads of cutting, but I'm in no rush

Comment

Working...
        X