Huck Buld

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Huck Buld

Well it has been 8 days since I finished the dome. Run electric heater for a day. Now my first paper burn. I am working on the door.

Huck
    Last edited by morrishuckeba; 07-02-2010, 10:11 AM.

Comment

I am not a very good welder, and I finally got some metal stuck together somehow. This is my door to my oven it is 2 inches thick with fiberboard in the center for the insulation.
      Huck

Comment

I am on my fourth curing fire. I am shooting for Wednesday to have my first pizza. I only have two very small cracks in my dome so far. Tomorrow I?ll be building a pretty good-sized fire for maybe a couple hours.

Comment

Hey Huck, sounds like your curing fires are right on target. Most (not all and that's OK) recommend the curing be done without insulation, as you've done, at least for the 1st few days. You will find that since you have not insulated yet (tell me if you have though) that you will get to 500-600 degrees, but that's it. It's really hard to get to good pizza temps without the insulation forcing the bricks to absorb and release more heat.
          Are you putting something like FB Blanket on it or something else?

btw: nice door, I'm jealous of your welding skills .
          -Dino
          "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
          http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

I will be putting 3 inches of FB blanket. So I guess it’s best to go ahead and put the blanket on before I bring the temperature up anymore. Thank Dino for the advice you’ve given me and for all your help in my construction of this oven.
            Last edited by morrishuckeba; 07-05-2010, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I got 3 FB blanket on today. I will see how it goes tomorrow and then maybe the rest of the Insulation.

Comment

These first set of photos are of temperature ratings. The tempter of the oven next to the brick (after the dome had cleared) was about 150?, the temperature with 2 inches of installation read 100? the outside temperature of the blanket was79?. I had three layers FB blanket on.

Comment

Here is series of photos of my first Pizza cook starting with a fire and ending with the final pizza. My pizza oven is doing everything I expected it to do and more.

Comment

Huck,

Great looking start. Question, where did you get the indispensible tool?

Comment

I put it together with junk I had laying around the shop.

Comment

Good morning folks. I have a question, the second time I brought my Oven up to full Cooking temperature I discovered a crack in the front arch and chimney (pictured below) do you think I have anything to worry about. When the oven cool down you cannot see the crack at all, it completely disappears.
                        Huck

Comment

Huck,
                          You can get all kinds of cracks and the oven will never fail (ie: fall apart or not work). The next fire or 2 may put a hair line in places you don't even see and then the whole oven will have 'grown into' what it needs to heat up and expand. This will likely put relief on the small crack at the front arch crack and never get any bigger. Your arch looks good to me. Doesn't look like the mortar joint could fall so I wouldn't worry about it. You are going to put a facade of thin brick or tile on the front arch? It will cover that up.

If you search, others may have had hairlines in their clay flu pipe. Again, yours is small. I don't know if the clay pipe cracks act any different than our meaningless brick/mortar cracks.

You could apply some mortar to the clay pipe and wrap some of the excellent FB blanket around the base of the clay pipe. This has the added advantage of heating up the pipes base so it warms up and draws good.
                          "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                          http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Dino thank you for your reply, I value your opinion greatly. I have not decided what I’m going to do with the outside. My next step will be to stucco the base maybe tomorrow.

Comment

Here are a few photos of my first bread cooking. It turned out really good and there will be more bread coming later. I brought my oven up to the full temp for cooking pizza and cooked three. The next morning It was still holding the temperature at 450?. I?ve cleaned out all the colds and mopped the floor. The temperature dropped about 50? and in when the bread. I know now what WFO is all about.

Comment

Today I just finished putting the last coat stucco on my W.F.O. I just liked a little touchup and I?ll be completely through with it. I think it turned out okay for a beginner that has never laid brick before. Thanks for all the help from you guys with great experience in W.F.O. construction.
                                Huck

Comment

Working...
                                X