Castable refractory cement mix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castable refractory cement mix

I'm about to cast my vent and have 25 lbs of this dry mix which can yield 2 sq/ft at 1 1/4" of cement.
    My question is, can I add some crushed firebrick to this mix to increase volume? I understand I'm altering the mix ratio by doing this and thus may weaken the cast.
    My reason for doing this is because I may not have enough cement to fill the mold....it's close by my estimation.

George
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Re: Castable refractory cement mix

You can do anything, once.

I would think it depends on how much you are going to add and how challenging a shape your vent casting will be and the limitations of the refractory. This is a critical piece, so best to call the manufacturer or order some more.

I ran into the similar problem with mine, as I was casting the dome plug and the vent transition and wasn't sure there was enough KS-4. I ended up tapering 4 sides of a full brick and sitting that in the middle of the dome plug. I figured if the bond let go the taper would hold the brick. So, far it is still bonded very well, brick and plug are solid.
    Wade Lively

Comment

Re: Castable refractory cement mix

Thanks Wade. The vent shape is very a simple rectangular box with a slight curvature at the front face.
      I think I will take some firebrick remnants and crush them down to tiny pieces and add them accordingly to the mix.

George
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Working...
      X