Help with dimensions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with dimensions please

I'm looking to build a pompeii oven but I have a restricted space to build it in. Unfortunately the largest internal diameter I can achieve with my space is 28". Using the dimensions in the ebook I tried to recalculate the required vault height, door height & door width for my internal diameter. I came up with the following:

Vault Height: 11.25"
    Door Height: 7.25"
    Door Width: 13.05"

Can anyone verify if these are correct and will work?

Also any reccomendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Re: Help with dimensions please

Hello Rino,

If you're willing to sacrifice a bit of thickness off the dome wall you can easily increase your inner diameter by at least 2". That's exactly what I did on my current build. My dome wall thickness is 3" around the base diameter but used 4.5" thickness once there was enough clearance after the 4th course level.

George
    George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Following in on George's advice: if you're using a rectangular enclosure, you only have to trim the three edges of the dome where they approach walls. You don't need to put the metal studs there either: you can run a secondary sill above where the oven curves in.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

"if you're using a rectangular enclosure, you only have to trim the three edges of the dome where they approach walls."

.. and you can use the FB blanket insulation at these locations. 2 inches of this = 4 inches of vermicrete.

Comment

Thank you for the input guys,

How much would the heat retention be affected by trimming down the walls? Would I be better off using a full brick with a thin layer of vermicrete and FB blanket?

I plan on doing a rectangular enclosure, I guess I should have mentioned that earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by Rino C View Post
            Would I be better off using a full brick with a thin layer of vermicrete and FB blanket?
            Over the thin walled areas I'm using only blanket. I assume it's more efficient that way rather than using a little of both...

George
            George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Originally posted by Rino C View Post
              I'm looking to build a pompeii oven but I have a restricted space to build it in. Unfortunately the largest internal diameter I can achieve with my space is 28". Using the dimensions in the ebook I tried to recalculate the required vault height, door height & door width for my internal diameter. I came up with the following:

Vault Height: 11.25"
              Door Height: 7.25"
              Door Width: 13.05"

Can anyone verify if these are correct and will work?

Also any reccomendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
              Rino Look at my build, I have 29 inch cooking surface and I have all my measurements in the build.... This oven heats up nice and stays hot

Chris

Comment

Working...
              X