Enclosing the dome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enclosing the dome

Do i need a vent of some sort to let heat escape when i build around the dome. I was thinking about using retaining wall blocks?

Check out the vent description pages. The vent is outside and just above the oven door.

http://fornobravo.com/pompeii_oven/vent.html

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I think you may be asking about venting the enclosure, not the oven itself. If so, I think you should have some sort of vent in the enclosure to let moisture out, not necessarily heat...
      My Oven Thread:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Oooops. I can see that now.

You don't have to. If you let your oven cure slowly, and moisture in the oven and insulation can escape gentlely. That said, I believe some builders have added vent.

Any comments?

James
        Pizza Ovens
        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Venting, errr

NJ,

The climate I live in is not a humid as yours, and certainly not in winter, but here's what I did. The upper portion of my oven is a 4 inch block enclosure, to which I attached facade bricks. To vent this enclosure, I used "brick vents" in the facade bricks, after leaving holes in the block walls. These vents are made of metal, and the shape and size of an ordinary brick. You can probably get them from a masonry supplier in your area. My cue was that dampness in insulation is not a good thing, nor is excessive heat. And, after all, you'll only do this once. For the "attic" in the roof over the oven, I used standard soffit vents, plus one directly above the oven door in the portico I built. If you need pics, I'll send. These are pretty standard house building procedures, so I figured why not.

Cheers,

Jim
          "Made are tools, and born are hands"--William Blake, 1757-1827

Comment

I have soffit vents

Originally posted by james
            Oooops. I can see that now.

You don't have to. If you let your oven cure slowly, and moisture in the oven and insulation can escape gentlely. That said, I believe some builders have added vent.

Any comments?

James
            I have soffit vents in the overhang of my roof over the sides, plus a vent at the back vertex of the roof.

As long as I can keep the bugs out, I'll be OK.
            There is nothing quite so satisfying as drinking a cold beer, while tending a hot fire, in an oven that you built yourself, and making the best pizza that your friends have ever had.

Comment

Thank you all for your support and ideas.

Comment

Working...
              X