double sided pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• double sided pompeii

Hi everyone, i'm a builder and have just completed an oven for somebody, now i fancy one myself! our garden is small so i was thinking about siting the oven on the boundary line with a door and vent on either side allowing both us and our neighbour to use it but halving the space needed to build one. can anyone foresee any probs with this idea.
    I think the doors will have to be insulated to make up for the lost insulation. Sorry if this has already been raised by sombody i had a good look but couldnt find anything. Cheers.

Re: double sided pompeii

Hi sbbutsmot;
    Interesting idea, when you say door and vent on either side, do you mean you will have a flue on either side? You would need to be very careful with fire placement, as you would not want the fire against the opposing door. Maybe if the doors were not directly opposite you would alleviate this problem. You could have the doors close together on either side of the fence slightly angled, that way the fire can easily be placed in the back and you could both use it one after the other with only minimal movement of the coals. Also if you went with the two doors next to each other you might be able to design it with a single vent/flue between the doors.
    The other issue I see is with two doors you will be reducing the thermal mass considerably, again having the doors near each other and then making the doors as small as possible would overcome some of this.

Comment

Turntable ?

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
        Turntable ?
        LOL. Now that is lateral thinking!

Comment

Historically the French had large ovens and the local lord controlled the baking and the workers paid a fee. The Italians said stuff that and every household had their own oven.I think the sharing with a neighbor is a great idea.The other (Italian type) option would be a small oven for yourself on your side. My oven is only 900 x900mm and doesn't take up half the back yard.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Curious, you are obviously on good terms with your neighbor or the idea of a shared WFO wouldn't be discussed. However, if you are on such terms, I don't see the need to two doors/entrances etc. Why not take down a bit more of the fence and have the opening such that one half is on one side and one on the other?

If the problem is dogs or small children then a simple fenced area around the whole WFO area would be easier than re-designing the WFO. Fence tops could be counters for preparation and serving.

The bigger question is one of time. WFOs are built to last several generations. Before going into such a venture it might be wise to give that some consideration. If both neighbors are really into it then perhaps legally creating a shared area (deed modification) between the two parcels might be worth the cost.

Seems like alot of hassle to me. I would build the WFO on my property with the physical (not financial) assistance of my neighbor (if he wanted to help) and have a gate. Both your kids and your neighbors kids will thank you for keeping everything simple if this is your "last stand" home when they deal with your estate. And sale of this home will be easier if it's not. And being of a proven design the single door WFO will work; there is some question of how well a double door WFO would work.

Bests,
            Wiley

Comment

I am with Wiley!

I think the double opening would be awkward and the "ownership" issues potentially troublesome.

Good Luck!
              Jay

Comment

"the "ownership" issues potentially troublesome. "

He might claim the anchovies pizza and leave you stuck with the vegetarian one .

Comment

Working...
                X