12x12x2 fire tiles for floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12x12x2 fire tiles for floor

instead of firebrick for the floor, the supplier has 12x12x2 floor tiles that look pretty nifty for the floor. Less joints snap the peel perhaps. There has been some mention about being able to replace damaged brick in the floor, but, come on, does that really happen. And if it does happen, doesn't that make the case for a higher duty firebrick, instead of the low duty that is recommended here. My buddy who is like the industrial boiler king, the guy who is called in for serious casting and firebrick work in really hot things, tells me to go for the better quality, higher alumina brick. He thinks it will last longer and be tougher.

so, to recap

a: 12x12x2 floor tiles instead of bricks in the herringbone pattern?
    b: better quality brick- worth the extra money?

Re: 12x12x2 fire tiles for floor

A) Refractory "tiles" (big firebrick) are great, and they are always the higher duty material if you're concerned about that. It's a cost issue for most of us: they are a lot more expensive because they are a specialty item.

B) No. Use 'em if you got 'em, but they're not worth paying extra for. They're harder to cut, for one thing. These ovens are subject to some stress, mostly thermal, but also throwing logs and so forth, but a slightly softer brick isn't a game changer in that regard.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

is the herringbone pattern that would be done with firebrick for the floor, perhaps the most important thing for ease of use with the peel and other tools, or, would the square tiles butted up against each other be just as good. My firebrick guy will part with what I need for slightly more than firebrick for my use on the oven floor.

Comment

I would use the 12x12s, I have good access to building materials but the 12x12s were hard to come by. The herringbone pattern helps reduce edges that peels will catch on but it's still not as nice as a large tile floor would be.

Comment

would the square tiles butted up against each other be just as good.
          You could always lay them diagonally and get the same (or better) result. The main objective to the herringbone floor is to avoid brick edge to peel edge collisions.

Comment

Hey,
            I am using 12x24 firebrick 'skagits' as seen in this post.
            PhotoPlog - Hearth and Stand

I do not yet know how well they perform, (still curing), but the motive was to have a harder wearing surface with less joins. The tiles were certainly harder to cut than firebrick, but they look sharp!

Comment

Great looking floor, Andrew. I especially like your IFB's. Got any pics of the finished build?

Comment

More pictures here,... Picasa Web Albums - 10993856654910551... - Salt Spring 4...

Currently, the oven is being cured, and ornamental detailing remains to be done.

I will post more pictures here as and when I can get onto high speed internety thing, (stuck on dial up out here in the weeds).

Comment

I like your concrete work! It adds a very contemporary feel to it, I hope the finish work maintains that to a degree.

Also I was wondering why you pitched the gable on your covered area the direction you did?

Comment

Thanks Andrew! Like Nic said: Nice contemporary feel to the concrete tables.

I am just finishing my designs on a hemispherical arch so I can get started on my oven. Two questions: 1) Did you cut the top of your tapered entryway arch bricks lengthwise to accommodate the smaller dome arch circumference vs the larger outside diameter arch circumference? Or did you just leave them with the same internal height? 2) What design did you use for your thermal break?

I would like to incorporate both of your designs into my 39" dome and am really glad I saw yours first.

Thanks again for sharing. I can see a definite evolution of the Pompeii oven design and construction quality happening.

John

Comment

This is a really superior entry configuration. I like the flared entry, and the arch that follows the top arch of the door down to the hearth level, solving the reveal problem, and giving a nice asthetic result.

Comment

Aside from the above-mentioned benefits, I like added entry-warming-chamber size and the improved visibility into the sides of the dome.

Comment

Working...
                        X