took the plunge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: took the plunge!

stopped at all local pool company's and they said they use masonry sand or something besides vermiculite. they said the product i needed was called pool base or something. I have more money in the vermicrete layer than i did in the block stand!
    Anyway my mind is on setting the floor, i am going to cut bricks tomorrow and then take a long weekend off and start dome next week. there is plenty of reading to do and pictures to look at to prepare me.

Comment

I am thinking of setting the floor today! the vermicrete i poured yesterday seems solid enough! actually surprised me. Is this a bad idea? I feel like i cant do anything without re assurance from this forum! at some point i am going to have to trust my own judgement. Is it possible to be addicted to the forum? i am running from my yard into house to jump on computer or open my file that has the plans, checking things 3 times! i need my head examined

Comment

You're advised to keep the vermiculite damp for a week to cure it, but you can dampen the floor as well, if you want to move forward.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Originally posted by Lousdepot View Post
          23 bags of vermiculite!
          Looks Great!

I was shocked at 23 bags until I saw the bag. I ordered ours online from McMaster-Carr

As I remember, our vermiculite slab was still spongy after a day. I think I waited almost a week to build on it, however, if yours is solid, I say go for it.

I've been on other building forums but as soon as my project was finished, I left the forum. Here there are quite a few members with finished ovens so who knows, Fornobravo could be a lasting addiction.

Dave
          Album: http://picasaweb.google.com/fornososo/Pizza#

Comment

Wow I never thought of mcmaster Carr! I have a damn account with them too! I have used them for aluminum pipe, never thought of them for vermiculite. My problem was poor planning, lifetime problem!

Can I get the FB board wet?

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
              Or masonry supply houses. You could get about 60 cubic feet of perlite for 200 bucks around here.
              I-10 Building Materials near San Antonio has Harborlite brand Perlite for $11.22 per 4 CF bag. It is not a coarse grade, but it does the job.

Comment

Well i put the floor down and cut all the soldiers and a bunch of half brick. I dont think i am going to taper every half brick!! not unless i get my hands on a wet saw. or you all convince me. Its also time to think of an opening and dome height!

Comment

I'm using a cheap 14" chop saw that has been in my metal working shop for 8 years+. One of my boys holds a hose with a misting/shower sprayer on it directed at the diamond masonry blade. That helps extend the life of the blade (though I am on my second), reduces dust and reduces the noise a little. Cuts easier, too.

I'm not sure I would taper every brick. I did on this build and it has been a pretty good pain. Most rings are locked, and 3/4th of the bricks are cut with a simple angled/tapered cross cut, but the occasional custom brick to keep things in the round has been a challenge. Some guys on here have a nice jig for doing all that, but my saw wouldn't allow for an elaborate setup.

CB
                  CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

Took the weekend off, but got the soldiers in and the landing walls up! take a look at pics and let me know if you think i screwed anything up. One thing i know i messed up was started with a 20" opening but ended up at 19" because of the 1/2" reveal for the door. still can get 12" height. Anyway i hope to get a few rings done tomorrow or maybe inner arch... thanks for any tips!

Comment

Looks good! you are off and running!!

A little every day or two will get you there in no time!

CB
                      CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

"That helps extend the life of the blade (though I am on my second), reduces dust and reduces the noise a little. Cuts easier, too."

Soaking the brick for 2 or 3 min (until the bubbles stop) will help as well. The chop saw will also do the "double bevel" cuts you will find necessary on the top courses.

Comment

Looking good...Have fun with it and don't worry about the "goofs" we all have them somewhere

Peter
                          Member WFO-AMB=WW

Comment

I learned something today! I suck at laying brick!! had a helper today so i got over confident and laid 4 courses and inner arch. There is a great chance that i will wake up to a pile of bricks tomorrow. Just not too confident in my abilities at this time!! if this thing holds it will be a great advertisement for heat stop!!
                            Pictures of todays progress?(don't feel good enough to call it progress)

Comment

front arch will be first to fall. Must be a sign! cant upload photo of front

Comment

heres another try

Comment

Working...
                                X