took the plunge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: took the plunge!

Bruno, here are some pictures of my dome after i stucco'd it. Thats it till spring when i finish the outside of stand and outdoor kitchen.

Comment

Hello All,

Another good source for vermiculite and perlite is a landscape supply business. No need to get ripped by the big box stores who price those products like they were gold plated. Another good resource for oven building items are insulation contractors and commercial suppliers. One business in our city had every insulation item I needed under one product name or another including refractory mortar and various refractory cements. Unfortunately, I learned of them after I had nearly finished my oven. Doing a bit of research can save a lot of money that you can use for enhancing your build.

Cheers,
      Bob

Here is the link to my oven number 1 construction photos!

Here is the link to my oven number 2 construction photos!

Comment

Nice work there. I think i will be going for a similar finish on my WFO (rendered igloo with exposed brick arch). Thanks for the photo update.
        Have a great new year.

Regards,
        Bruno
        Regards,

Bruno

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...hen-18538.html

Comment

Nice build.
          A question - what did you do about your crack in the mortar of arch brick after the firings?
          How is your arch standing up to the heating / cooling cycles - any signs of spreading?

I intend to use blanket and verimcrete as you have so your photos have been good references - thanks

Comment

Originally posted by John French View Post
            Nice build.
            A question - what did you do about your crack in the mortar of arch brick after the firings?
            How is your arch standing up to the heating / cooling cycles - any signs of spreading?

I intend to use blanket and verimcrete as you have so your photos have been good references - thanks
            hey sorry just noticed these questions now! the crack in arch hasn't changed one bit since it first appeared. it get wider as it heats up and closes when cool!
            Everything is fine except i noticed the stucco isn't holding up too well to the winter weather, so i need to make a decision as to what i want to do about it this spring. Its too freaking cold this winter to do anything but cook and even that has been tough!!

Comment

By the look of your photo the outer arch is in direct contact with the inner parts of the oven.Because the bricks are in direct contact there is pretty good conduction. This leads to heat loss and a big difference between the inner and outer surfaces of the arch. In my opinion this is almost asking for trouble in regards to cracks in the arch. In addition the expansion of the inner parts of the oven create outward pressure on the arch also increasing the chance of cracks developing. Ovens with a thermal break, expansion joint or insulating space, whatever you like to call it, avoid this problem and I think it is worth considering in both the design and the build.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                By the look of your photo the outer arch is in direct contact with the inner parts of the oven.Because the bricks are in direct contact there is pretty good conduction. This leads to heat loss and a big difference between the inner and outer surfaces of the arch. In my opinion this is almost asking for trouble in regards to cracks in the arch. In addition the expansion of the inner parts of the oven create outward pressure on the arch also increasing the chance of cracks developing. Ovens with a thermal break, expansion joint or insulating space, whatever you like to call it, avoid this problem and I think it is worth considering in both the design and the build.
                I am confused by what you are saying? I followed the plans and pretty much copied 80% of the designs I saw on this forum. Not sure where you would locate that expansion joint you are talking about. The oven heats up to 900+ degrees in a couple of hours and then holds 400 for 24 hrs and then 300 for next 24 and then 225+ for the third day!! Pretty sure this is what's supposed to happen

Comment

I'm surre your oven will perform ok, regardles of the.minor arch crack. It's just something I've noticed on a lot of ovens that can be avoided.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                    I'm surre your oven will perform ok, regardles of the.minor arch crack. It's just something I've noticed on a lot of ovens that can be avoided.
                    I think I need to see a visual example to make me better understand. I fully understand what you are saying but can't envision how to do it! Is the outer arch pulling heat from the oven or getting heated up from what's running up and out flue/chimney??

Comment

Because the outer arch is in direct contact with the inner dome, the heat will travel to it via conduction. An insulating space, or an air gap would reduce this conduction thereby making the outer arch cooler and reducing the temp difference. I shall try to take a photo and post it tomorrow.

Comment

This should explain what I meant. The gap is about 10mm filled with 10:1 vermicrete at the bottom

Comment

oops. better attach the pic.

Comment

Wow its been a long time but i have finally gotten close to finishing the project. here are some updated photos...

Comment

More photos:

Comment

Gorgeous oven! Congrats on creating such a magnificent centerpiece and inviting place to get together. Great job!

Comment

Working...
                                X