Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: How many ovens have you built?

Hi
    I was just thinking that perhaps most folks do the DIY thing & thus only builds a very limited number of ovens?
    If someone knows how to set up a propper poll, please advise, but other than that, just quick reply with two digits. First how many ovens you have built and secondly how many ovens you think you will end up building. In my case this would thus mean 1/2 and 1 (unless a friend persuades me to help with his)

Just curious :-)
    If my assumption is anywhere near true then this forum may well be even more important as ovens are not like a patch of garder where you can retry every year

Re: Poll: How many ovens have you built?

I've built 39 ovens. Hope to build plenty more.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

that is it

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        I've built 39 ovens. Hope to build plenty more.
        Wow David! No wonder you know your ovens so well :-)

Comment

All one of my ovens have cooked perfect pizzas and show excellent bread potential. I'm disappointed in their lack of seventh ovenishness however. Sigh.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
          Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Thousands. :-)

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

One. And I don't think it will be the last one.
              My daughter and her husband just became first time home owners and somewhat hinted at wanting a wfo in their patio after seeing mine in action...

George
              George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

It's interesting to think that the FB Forum has grown to where not everyone is sure who Forno Bravo is -- so here's a little background info. In addition to building and maintaining FB.com, the FB Forum and the FB Store, I have:

Designed the Pompeii oven and wrote the ebook.
                Wrote the wood-fired oven operation and cooking ebooks (Wood-Fired Pizza and Wood-Fired Cooking) and created all the graphics.
                Designed the Primavera, Giardino, Casa2G and Toscana ovens -- and built the prototypes in my garage.
                Installed and owned modular ovens from five different manufacturers.
                Built two Scott ovens from the book (it's not good).
                Managed the UL and NSF Listing process for five ovens.
                Over-fired non-cured modular ovens to see what happens (it's not good).
                Built many ovens using damaged components to see what happens (they hold up really well).
                Built ovens using sand as an insulator to see what happens (it's not good).
                Experimented with different types and thickness of refractory composites and insulators across hundreds of ovens.

Forno Bravo will make and sell in excess of 1,000 ovens this year.

I think wood-fired ovens and cooking is one of the coolest things you can do.
                James
                Last edited by james; 07-18-2010, 11:18 AM.
                Pizza Ovens
                Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Salute! James and Forno Bravo. That is an impressive body of work. I have only built one for myself, but it won't be the last.

Comment

That is an impressive body of work, James! I respect people who DO things, Makes things....Create. I think it is the yearning of the human spirit.

In the final analysis, civilization is just a food powered make work project...wood fired ovens make it even better

Comment

Thanks for the overview James. With your permission, I would like to add some bullets to your list which I think are really really big accomplishments
                      • Selflesly shared your knowledge with all & sundry
                      • Put your IP out for free so that WFO idiots like me can also join in
                      • Enabled, drove & shaped the forum to huge proportion (so much so it got a life of its own )
                      • Inspired so many others! One can say you rekindled a trade which in SA at least was becomming reserved for restaurants & cheapy imitations

Thanks James!

Comment

Thanks Dolf,

Ya know. I think the best thing we've done is help get people excited about wood fired ovens and cooking. :-)

James
                        Pizza Ovens
                        Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I have built one, will build another couple either for friends or relatives or if I ever move away from this oven.
                          Eric

Comment

Totally agree with Grimaldi.
                            As James mentioned many moons ago, he has had a successful career in an entirely different area of expertise. Everything FB related has come from his personal passion of WFO cooking; taking what is a backyard weekend diversion for most of us and digging in, getting dirty, starting an entirely new cooking revolution, and sharing it all with with the world.
                            Probably the most impressive resume in the WFO community, and what I am sure is a profitable and succussful business venture. Damn, I think this man is living the American dream.
                            As for the poll, built one oven and modified/improved same oven.......yet I feel like an expert of the trade from what I have learned on this forum. Thanks to all.

RT

Comment

Yes RT, Isn't it amazing that we can have so much confidence despite very limited experience.
                              I am probably like a child proudly cycling but actually its the FB side-wheels that keep me up ! :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X