Low Duty or Medium Duty Firebrick???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Duty or Medium Duty Firebrick???

Sure could use some advice from folks on which type of firebrick I should use in my 42" oven. I've tracked down low duty bricks at $1.10 each and, finally, I've found someone with medium duty brick, but with the freight the cost is nearly double.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that low duty bricks are fine to use for residential ovens that are used infrequently. We plan to use our oven for personal use and occaisonal parties.

I'd like to build this oven to last, but I don't have endless amounts of money.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Re: Low Duty or Medium Duty Firebrick???

CoveForest,

You might want to run through the FB plans on this site which discuss firebrick grades. Low duty firebrick are more than suitable and I'm not sure of any benefits of using a medium duty firebrick even if they were the same price of a low-duty firebrick.

Comment

From the home oven perspective, they will both function about the same, and the higher duty bricks will be harder and slower to cut. I'd use the low duty bricks if you have a choice.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I will check the plans again, but I thought that FB recommemnded medium duty bricks.

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

I have the same issue/decision here in the CA desert - low vs medium duty. Shipping is a long way for us. Have you bought your brick yet. I called Muddox about their 27% alumina brick and asked if many folks buy that for brick ovens. He said, "You mean pizza ovens?" Yep. "Everyday" he said. So, I plan to go with the Muddox. It will be slightly less conductive than medium duty, and a lot more cost effective as you know. I can also get it locally. I figure a little less responsive oven means I'm less likely to burn things :-) Kind regards, Jim

Comment

When I asked the local masonary supplier about "low" duty versus "medium" duty bricks, he said that those were old terms for firebrick. True? He claims to have firebrick that is rated for around 2200 degees F but they are about $2 each. According to the firebrick primer, this is slightly less than "low" duty, should I keep looking?

Comment

Besides the hardness, and weight differences between low duty and medium duty 38% alumina content. Which one stores more heat? Takes longer to heat up and longer radiant heat. I am thinking bread baking, not pizza for my interests.
              Thanks
              Build Thread:http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/i...ome-15521.html
              Photos: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/brick-...67884/pic/list
              Oven Blog: http://johns-brickoven.blogspot.com/...ven-folly.html

Comment

[QUOTE=JimHoover;100800
                I have the same issue/decision here in the CA desert - low vs medium duty. Shipping is a long way for us. Have you bought your brick yet. I called Muddox about their 27% alumina brick and asked if many folks buy that for brick ovens. He said, "You mean pizza ovens?" Yep. "Everyday" he said. So, I plan to go with the Muddox. It will be slightly less conductive than medium duty, and a lot more cost effective as you know. I can also get it locally. I figure a little less responsive oven means I'm less likely to burn things :-) Kind regards, Jim[/QUOTE]

I was able to find some medium duty brick, but it was not local andwith shipping the cost was about double what local low duty brick costs. We plan to use our oven for our own needs and occaisonal parties, so I feel good about the decision to use low duty bricks. I think where medium duty makes sense is in a commercial setting.

Chris

Comment

Chris, thanks for sharing your decision and intended usage - mine is the same. Which low duty brick are you going to use? I had hoped to use the yellow Muddox at 27% alumina but the red is the only one the local distributor has currently. Jim

Comment

I used medium duty in my oven becuase it was all I could get. My understanding is that low duty is better overall for oven use. The medium are supposed to shed heat faster, and that could result in burning. I know there is something about this in "The Bread Builders" book...I would have spent more for low duty if I could have found them (if they were not too much more) so enjoy your cheaper low-duty bricks!

In practice, I only have my own oven (no low duty version to compare to) and I bake a ton of bread and did have some issues with the bottoms burning, but now I pretty much have that figured out (wait for the oven to cool more...duh). In any case, I am no expert, but my bricks were around 39% if I recall.

Hope that helps.
                    Drake
                    My Oven Thread:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Working...
                    X