• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pizza Pavillion

Verry nise!

Comment

Top Drawer Pizza Pavillion

WoW Scott, you have set the mark higher than I ever imagined....Your yard and its accoutrement's are in the top tier for both beauty and functionality!

When we recruit an instructor for those bread/pizza dough classes, you have the perfect classroom ready and waiting
      Lee B.
      DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Wow, that's terrific.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words. Yes, I built most of it myself with a little help from my friends along the way. I contracted out the metal roof, electrical sub panel, and granite countertops. I have done various projects before but nothing to this skill level on my own.

This forum was invaluable and I was encouraged by the projects I saw tackled by novices such as myself. I remember when I first found this site how surprised I was to find there were a bunch of people like me around the world willing to jump off the deep end on such a diy project.

I encourage all of you that have stood and continue standing for hours staring in the back yard to the mocking of your children and spouse that the pay off in the end is worth the planning and dreaming. No matter how much you plan you need to have the flexibility to make those "site corrections" along the way and enjoy the imperfections that make it truly a custom built oven. Of course take lots of pictures.

My only word of caution is once you start and more importantly complete a project like this it will only inspire you to more projects. My list of ideas is long and my time and resources are short in comparison but I will enjoy the ride!

For more pics check out my gallery photos at the site in my signature line.

Lee - I look forward to getting together this summer and learning how to use this thing!
          Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

I viewed the images you linked. Excellent design and execution. Perhaps you should do this for a living (if you don't already ).
            gene

Comment

Greetings oven enthusiasts,

Haven't been on in a while but thought I would share my latest experience. My door v. 1.0 burned up after a great night of steaks. I knew it would be a temporary fix and made it out of sheet metal skin inside with plywood and dowel rods outside sandwiched over vermiculite/cement mix (first pic). Lasted longer than I thought however I usually don't put it on right after a burn.

If you haven't tried steaks yet, you must as they are the best ever (second pic). Done in 3 to 7 minutes depending on thickness.

I put the door on right after cooking and it was still very hot. I was still outside near the oven when I heard a pop (thermometer shattering) and then was able to get a few pics of the door incinerating (third pic). Morning after shot shows the insulation piece held in place (fourth pic).

There was only one answer, buy a welder, torch and learn to work metal! See next post.
              Scott -

Comment

Originally posted by Millstone Man View Post
                There was only one answer, buy a welder, torch and learn to work metal! See next post.
                I had a similar experience with my first temporary door only thing left was the stainless and fasteners.

I built my new door with stainless aluminum and stainless pop rivets with a FB Board core. No welding required - but if you want a welder I will not tell your wife....

This is the burned version.

Chip
                Last edited by mrchipster; 11-20-2011, 09:16 AM.
                Chip

Comment

Door v. 2.0 after burning up v 1.0 (see previous post)

I cut the doors out 1/8'' steel (first pic). Used some salvaged 1'' rebar for the handles (second pic). Made it 1 1/2'' thick (third pic) and filled it with loose vermiculite (fourth pic). Finished product (fifth pic) weighs 32 pounds! Not very practical for my wife but definitely very beefy. This is my first attempt at welding/cutting and was a blast. Funny after building a brick oven and getting the kids out of the house nothing seems impossible. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
                  Scott -

Comment

I built my new door with stainless aluminum and stainless pop rivets with a FB Board core. No welding required - but if you want a welder I will not tell your wife....
                    Too late Chipster! I can't let my wife see your door!
                    Scott -

Comment

Originally posted by Millstone Man View Post
                      Too late Chipster! I can't let my wife see your door!
                      Mine weighs in at 17 lbs. I already had the welder that I bought with a similar excuse. But welding stainless and aluminum is a whole next level that I was not willing to go to.

I will be building a 2 inch door for when I am doing active baking and roasting but needed a door that held the heat for longer cooking and wait times.

The nice thing about Stainless and Aluminum is that it does not need paint ever...

Door is 4 inches of insulation and accounts for 2/3 of the weight the metal is only about 5 pounds.

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

Working...
                      X