Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evets
    replied
    Re: Ev's 42" Pompeii in Lancaster Co., Pa.

While I'm here, I may as well post some pictures of my oven since I completed the woodwork and front counter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5704.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	287653

Name:	ovenpizza 010.jpg
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	287654

Name:	ovenpizza 007.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	287655

Name:	ovenpizza 006.jpg
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	287656

Leave a comment:

• Evets
    replied

Thanks Gary, you're very kind. The plans are here; http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...load-1674.html

Leave a comment:

• Gary Mots
    replied

Evets, I've gone through your excellent thread on building your Pizza Oven, This is very good on the building from start to finish, you have done such a great job and the pictures are really helpful.
    Where do you get the plans for the Pompeii oven?
    I'm a newbie on here and would like to build a Pizza Oven, Thanks for all of the information
    Gary

Leave a comment:

• Evets
    replied

Amazingly, as muddy as the water looked, there was very little cleanup to do. Mostly just picking up firewood and hosing off the basil plants. The week before, when Irene came through, I got all my tools and power equipment off the floor of the shed, so nothing got ruined in there. The chickens were a little nervous too but they found a high shelf to roost on.
    Here are a few more pics including a couple recent pizzas;

Name:	flood 053.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	287447

Name:	flood 052.jpg
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	287448

Name:	flood 057.jpg
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	287449

Name:	oven build 078.jpg
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	287450

Name:	oven build 096.jpg
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	287451

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by Evets View Post
    The heavy rains and flooding last week caused me some anxious moments, to say the least. I live next to a stream which overflows it's banks from time to time. Only one other time in 17 years did it ever get this bad. All's well though, in fact the water went down the same day and I was baking pizza the next. At one point during the flood, my dogs chipped in to help rescue my fire wood!
    [ATTACH]26992[/ATTACH]
    Some anxious moments - Are you kidding me! I was looking for the coast guard cutter to be making a drive up pizza order! That has to be a total mess, all that mud, OMG! You built it to the right height, six inches above the high tide mark!
    My wife loved the pics of your dogs!
    Now to get the dogs on clean up detail!

Leave a comment:

• chidding
    replied

Wow thats amazing, so glad you're ok!.. love the pictures!

If you can crank up the WFO and take pics.. that would qualify for picture of the year!

Leave a comment:

• Evets
    replied

The heavy rains and flooding last week caused me some anxious moments, to say the least. I live next to a stream which overflows it's banks from time to time. Only one other time in 17 years did it ever get this bad. All's well though, in fact the water went down the same day and I was baking pizza the next. At one point during the flood, my dogs chipped in to help rescue my fire wood!

Name:	flood of 2011 041.jpg
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	287438

Name:	flood of 2011 044.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	287439

Name:	flood of 2011 045.jpg
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	287440

Name:	flood of 2011 042.jpg
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	287441

Name:	flood of 2011 067.jpg
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	287442

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

A local metal fab. shop made it for me. 38.50 for the copper, 42 for labor, + tax = $85

I didn't like the look of the flashing with all the sealant, and never having done flashing before, I didn't really trust my work not to leak. The cap covers everything. No more worries.
    That is a great deal and well worth the cost! Beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• Evets
    replied

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

A local metal fab. shop made it for me. 38.50 for the copper, 42 for labor, + tax = $85

I didn't like the look of the flashing with all the sealant, and never having done flashing before, I didn't really trust my work not to leak. The cap covers everything. No more worries.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Got a little more work done recently. The roof is on,(shingles) the stucco is done(God I hate doing stucco) and I got the chimney chase cap in place. On to the woodwork!
    Ok, I have to ask where did you get the cap made and at what cost? Man that looks great!

Leave a comment:

• Evets
    replied

Got a little more work done recently. The roof is on,(shingles) the stucco is done(God I hate doing stucco) and I got the chimney chase cap in place. On to the woodwork!

Name:	oven build 056.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	287218

Name:	oven build 055.jpg
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	287219

Name:	oven build 038.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	287220

Leave a comment:

• Evets
    replied

Originally posted by Ohiofire View Post
    You oven looks good, i'm about to start the dome this weekend on mine and I am thinking i'm going to not fill the gaps with mortar till then end like you did. Did that work out pretty well for you or would you just fill them as you go if you had to do it over again?
    Sorry, I forgot to answer your question.
    Waiting til the end worked out fine for me. Mostly, I just didn't want to use the expensive heatstop 50 mortar to fill the gaps. Instead, after cutting all those brick I ended up with a large amount of refractory clay sludge which I used to make a homebrew mortar to fill the gaps. In fact, after filling all the gaps I had enough left to add another half inch or so cladding over the whole oven for a little extra thermal mass.

Leave a comment:

• Evets
    replied

So, it sounds like you were able to work out a deal with Addison? That's great! I can't wait to see what you do with your pieces.
    The clay pipe was just temporary so I could start using my oven last year. Both sections of pipe ended up cracking down the middle as I suspected they would. I removed them and installed the Duratech system along with a cast refractory riser that I made. Before I built the enclosure I Insulated the casting and the chimney with Thermafiber and vermicrete to keep the enclosre temp down.
    I've been thinking about how to finish off the chimney for some time and decided to box it in with metal studs and durock/stucco which I did this week. I don't have a photo of the stucco yet. I've also measured and ordered a chase cap to seal off the top.

Name:	oven build 033.jpg
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	286824

Name:	oven build 034.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	286825

Name:	oven build 031.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	286826

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

If I may ask another question, I noticed you were using clay flue pipe on the vent. Did you mortar it to the base? Or did you leave it free standing? Nice job on the vent, strong and neat. How are you going to finish the chimney off? Did you switch to a duravent flue instead of the clay flue? I am confused for sure!

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

CORRECTION!!!

The angle pieces are 22"X22". I don't know why I thought it was 17.
    Thanks again! We talked to your friend yesterday (btw-great guy) and are now in the midst of where to locate the pieces on the oven. My wife is in charge of the decorating duties, so it will be her task on which pieces to get and how to use them on the oven.
    Since I am coping your cast iron idea it is obvious that I think your build is looking great!

Again Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

Working...
X