No Reveal = Door Problems...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Reveal = Door Problems...?

embarassingly enough...i didn't understand what a "reveal" was when i was researching how to build a wood-fired oven, so i just ignored it and didnt incorporate it into my building plans. i guess i really didn't understand how important it is to have a door...i was young and stupid..ahem*last summer*

so now i need to find a way to get the door to fit. Although it it may be a little unorthodox, i was thinking of fabricating a door that is cut to fit exactly the hight of the opening, and cut to to fit horizontally about a half an inch wider on both sides. I will then fit the door on a swivel that is attached to a longer handle so that i can push it into the oven, turn it 90 degrees at the swivel (kind of like a revolving door attached to a handle) and pull it shut.

Does any one see any potential flaw in this plan? it works in my head, but in real life things usually tend to go awry

also, on a side note...i was planning on sandwiching a peice of FB board between 2 peices of steel to make the door insulated. i got to thinking that it may not be worth $70 plus shipping and handeling to have to cut the peice of FB board that i need and probably discard a mojority of it. Is there a way to get a smaller peice of FB board, or is there some other cost effective way to insulate a WFO door?

Re: No Reveal = Door Problems...?

Just put the revel on the door, that is what I did.

(That was before I filled it with perlcrete)

Comment

Matt...can you post a pic of your inner entry?
      George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Wow, Tscar. That's some nice work there... How heavy is it? Very interesting.

Is it in progress now, or do you have completed pics... (Going to your site now.)
        CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

It is heavy (maybe 6 pounds total) but it is in 2 pieces so no problem. No pics of it on my build, I need to update that tomorrow. It works great, but it is constantly shedding flakes of perlcrete where I grab it. The inside is parged with a thin layer of refractory, and once I decide exactly where to position my handholds, I will do the same to the outside, at which point it gets header painted black.

(the bottom piece is upside down in that pic)

Comment

Tom, cool door. Is that refractory cast cement or what that is holding the perlcrete?
            Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

It is insulating castable. It is pretty durable, the only problem is that I wasn't sure HOW insulating it was so I had to cast it solid then use it to see. The answer was, "not insulating enough". It still got pretty warm, and my normal 5 day cool down to ambient went to 4, so I carved out about 20 bucks worth of castable. On the next one it will be skeleton cast using foam inserts.

Comment

I will be interested in seeing how that comes out.
                Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

YES! Please post info and pics!! Sounds like an interesting project. I will need to make a door in the near future.
                  CB

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...-us-13256.html

Comment

Working...
                  X