Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: charliefarley's UK build

Thank you Bob and CB.

I was planning on building the walls using block, but I thought if I left enough space around the chimney that wooden rafters would be ok.

Someone once pointed out that you could build the entire enclosure out of wood, the worst case scenerio in a free standing oven it that you'd have to rebuild it if it caught fire.
    Yeah, I suppose the worst that could happen is I lose the rafters, perhaps a few broken roof tiles and some molten lead flashing, plus sorting out whatever made it catch fire in the first place.
    Having no experience with metal stud work I think I'll go the wood route.

Anybody have any ideas of good use for firebrick dust? I must have nearly 20kg of the stuff now. Other than using it in the dome mortar - purely for esthetic reasons I want to keep the dome mortar the same colour. Could I use it to clad the exterior of the dome?

Comment

Got the dome finished with a slightly different last course and key brick.
      I had four bricks over from the course before that left me with a square for the key, so I cut some quadrants to fill the gaps.

Comment

Congratulations and nicely done! I like the look of the dome top.
        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Wow! I'm very impressed with your dome and especially your transition. Well done!
          Scott -

My projects: http://www.facebook.com/#!/scott.kerr.794

Comment

Kind words Mark, although not at all true.

Comment

Are you sure you've never done this before? That is some very nice brickwork. Great job, enjoy the great food that will come out of the oven!!!
              Eric

Comment

Working...
              X