Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions

[IMG]

I am getting ready to start my dome and have some questions regarding the hearth opening dimensions.

I was planning on a 20" inner hearth dome opening (dimension "A") Is this a good dimension?

Does anyone have any recomendations for the dimensions that I have shown on the attached plans?

How much of a set back from the inner hearth dome opening (dim "A") should the outer hearth opening start (dim "B") be to give the door a place to rest.

Should the hearth walls (dims "B" & "C") be different to give a taper? If so how much?

Thanks for the help, Eric.

My build thread

Dome build pics
    Last edited by EricU; 08-10-2010, 12:09 PM.
    Thanks, Eric

My 42" dome build pics in Napa

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Re: Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions

I'm very interested in this post as I have just started to do the same drawings for a 42" WFO. The questions I still need to figure out are the dimensions in question as well as the dimension between the inner and outer openings. Not sure how much room I need there for the chimney. What are you using to draw your plans? I'm no engineer but I do have access to a few different CAD software which I'm going to try to do once I finish my rough sketches. How high is your dome? I'm thinking of going 21" which will make the indespensible tool very easy to use and create, I think. My door height is going to be 13" which is about the 63% everyone recommends. I have the same dimension on my plans for DIM A (20").

Comment

...My door height is going to be 13" which is about the 63% everyone recommends...

I currently have another drawing for the front arch(s) which I have not posted yet as I wanted to get the plan dimensions straight first. I have mine set at 17" clear.

I thought the FB instructions said 17" or 18" high, what is the correct opening height?
      I just read from one of the sticky posts "If you have a 42" oven, with a 20" dome, an 19"W x 12"H opening should work nicely. Good access, good thermal characteristics."

So I think I will change my door opening height to 12" or 13" at the high point clear of the arch.

What are other people doing?
      Last edited by EricU; 08-10-2010, 12:22 PM.
      Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Eric, most everyone (including me) used a 12" height for the inner arch. Mine came to 12.125" in the center. At the outer edges, it depends: I went 3 brick high (on the arch walls) and a small mortar joint so by edges are 8" and peak up to the 12.125". It's got a nice curve. Many others went 4 brick high on the side walls so they went about 10.5" to the 12" center. Depends on if you want a gentle arch or "arch-ey" arch.

If you want to get technical: 63% of a 19.5" center dome height is 12.28". If you make your dome center a full 20" tall, then you can have a 13" door height but (personally) I think shooting for an 'anything just under 20" dome height' is a worthy goal. Too tall and you waste your heat up there. True Naples style ovens have a low dome for pizza's , Tuscan style ovens have a higher dome.

So, dimension 'A' at 20" is perfect. The B & C taper can be what's comfortable for you and what looks good. I think any taper (widening or flared entry) is nice. At 1st glance, it adds a bit of complexity (teensy) but I was able to do it successfully (after copying what Christo did ) and have seen so many others over the last year that also did it with ease & success.

This pdf is my as-built of all those dimensions you asked about. Please ask again for any other dimension you need or we missed.

-Dino
        Attached Files
        "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
        http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
        http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Here's the same pdf but posted as an image:

"Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
          http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
          http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Dino,

Thanks, I have decided to go with a opening of 20" a hearth opening setback of 21.5" and a hearth front of 22.5" for a small hearth taper.

Is the dome opening arch installed vertical? I am assuming so.

Could someone point me to some good pics of the dome to hearth opening transitions and how to handle the bricks?

Thanks again for all the help, Eric.
            Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Thanks Dino for the drawing. I am just starting on my oven here in Grand Rapids, MI and was searching for a good floorplan drawing to set the openings. I like the flared opening and plan to replecate this on my oven as well.

- Jon

Comment

You can make "A" = "B". Since you have a beveled opening, you don't need a jamb or reveal on the sides. Simply bevel the door at the same angle and it will fit snugly. You may want a small jamb at the top edge.

Comment

My revised dimensions:

Eric
                  Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

I am ready to start my dome (finally!) and have decided to:
                    1. Cut the floor bricks to fit "Inside" the dome
                    2. Use half bricks for the soldier course

I have mocked up the second ring (first after the soldier course) and it seems that I just need to use half bricks with no real taper to them:
                    1. Is this correct?
                    2. Do any of the rings require tapers?
                    3. Is each course/ring only have one cut on the last brick as a keystone?

Help!!!! Eric.
                    Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Got up this morning at 4:00 am and drove 4 hours to my brother in laws place to pick up these rocks, big rocks!!!

Eric
                      Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

The BBQ fire box is coming along

Eric
                        Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

Vent Questions: Napa WFO dome & hearth build questions

I have my dome started, my first arch completed and have some questions regarding the vent transition.
                          1. Apparently 8" diam. clay flue pipe is not available anymore (the factory out here is not making it according to my brickyard), Should I cut down a oval?
                          2. I want to make my transition out of a standard fire brick laying flat. Should I cut 4" out of the middle of the arch bricks about 12 1/2" long to approximate the cross sectional area of a 8" diameter flue pipe?
                          3. Will offsetting the centerline of my flue effect the draw? Would I need to increase the throat dimension of the flue transition?

Thanks for any help, Eric
                          Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

The Fire pit is coming along well, First fire tonight. It is not done or insulated but why not!!

Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment

I like big rocks!

Thanks, Eric

My build thread part I

My build thread part II

Comment