Steel angle to support flue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel angle to support flue?

I am making my final decisions on the oven vent and how best to transition to the flue. I have my inner door arch mocked up (see attached picture) and was planning on how best to build the vent and transition to the flue.

Are there issues regarding using steel angle in the vent area? Dissimilar expansion as they get hot?

The design I an thinking of would have an inner arch that would be attached to the dome. The doorway would then transition to straight walls that would be three bricks taller than the inner arch. I would cut in two pieces of angle steel and place them horizontally across the opening. This would form the support for the flue in the center and the bricks to form the top of the vent area. This would give me a vent that is 20" wide, 6"deep and 5" high.

The outer doorway would be finished with an arch than matches the inner doorway.

The soldier course is down and I'm starting the the first chain. Learning as I go!

Click image for larger version

Name:	oven 059.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	316836

Re: Steel angle to support flue?

"Are there issues regarding using steel angle in the vent area? "

No. Lots of people have done this. Angle iron would be better than steel due to potential rust issues. If you can't locate angle iron easily, a good source of angle steel is old bed frames.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
      a good source of angle steel is old bed frames.
      You wont have anywhere to sleep but the pizzas will be good.....
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Good, I have 2x2x1/4 steel angle left from building the stand so I won't need to destroy anyone's bed frame. I bought some hi temp paint so it doesn't rust and hi temp caulk to stick the flue to the angle.

I'm up to my 5th course, so far so good and fun to see it take shape.

Comment

Working...
        X