The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii

I broke ground this weekend on what will be a 50" Pompeii oven for my friends that own The Painted Lady. See their website for more info on their fantastic restaurant, The Painted Lady Restaurant - Newberg, Oregon | Welcome

I put together a very quick sketch up model to help them see the vision. The entire facade will be covered in a custom mosaic that they are currently designing.

Also attached is a quick cad section that I am using to help me design an indispensable tool that is adjustable similar to Kebwi's tool. One detail that I am still trying to determine is what I want the dome profile to be. My goal/ necessity is to create a 50" diameter oven with an 18" high dome. In the attached image you can see that I am leaning towards a perfect elliptical dome with no soldier course of brick. Structurally I see this as being superior because the load distributes down better than the side loading you get with a tall soldier course. Opinions and suggestions would be much appreciated on this detail.
    Attached Files

Re: The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii

Quick shots of the space where the oven is going, the dig out was completed Saturday. Sunday I mixed poured and troweled out the foundation solo, because access was so bad and space is so limited.

Comment

Isn't oregon really, really wet? I'm thinking a dome enclosure may be less than ideal in that case.

As far as no soldier course, you're preaching to the converted in my case. Especially with low domes, there is a lot of lateral force, and a soldier course just amplifies the sideways forces.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Rain is a concern here, but I have a lot of experience with elastomeric stucco finishes, Dryvit being my product of choice. And I know that it does well to weatherproof a structure. The biggest concern for me is forcing all the moisture out before applying the finish as these types of finish do not "breath" like a conventional cement stucco.

Comment

Personally I'm not a big fan of the elliptical dome. I think the profile you have their is pretty good but IMHO you still have a lot of lateral load and no easy way to support it. The only thing holding the oven together is the mortar. With a soldier course beveled on top to match the angle of the dome you can easily reinforce it with stainless steel cable wrapped around said soldier course. To me that is much more structurally sound. I certainly trust it a lot more then mortar.

Comment

you can easily reinforce it with stainless steel cable wrapped around said soldier course.
            How? There's a big opening on one side of the dome.
            My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

I went the simple way. I welded up a rectangular angle iron door frame and anchored the cable to that on both sides. DHS has a different but similar system on his low dome oven with pictures in the brick oven pictures forum. Lots of ways to bridge the gap just have to come up with one that works with your vent, opening and entryway style. Ideally you make the soldier height equal the door height, that makes it really easy but I know some don't want to built a dome that "aggressive".

Comment

Been busy and haven't had a chance to upload the last couple weeks worth of work. The next few posts will just be pics of process to current.

Comment

The Oven Floor!

Comment

Hi,
                    Really cool ! I like the 3 sides and suspended concrete in front. My plan exactly.
                    How wide is the concrete hearth ?
                    thank you,
                    EatingMoreFood (Executive Chef)

Comment

3 more working days and the dome and arch are done! Next Sunday I'll get the smoke chamber and flues finished. Also It was dark by the time I finished tuck pointing the interior and installing the plug so I'll have to get pics and post them of the finished interior later. The in process stuff looks rough to me.

Comment

Beautiful shape on that dome!
                        George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

Wow that was fast. 3 days to do the dome? Really? It looks beautiful, I wish I could build one that fast.
                          Mike

Comment

Thank you very much guys! Yeah 3 long days, I like to put in 10 hour days, I have 1 Saturday and 2 Sundays building the dome Solo. Really if you build yourself a quality indispensable tool then it goes really fast. Also something that might help everyone is that when dealing with small pieces of brick like this masons trowels are actually too big and cumbersome to work with. I much prefer a Margin Trowel, they are much more efficient with little squares of firebrick.

Comment

Nic,

Great looking dome!

~Bob
                              My Oven Progress: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/p...uild-7155.html

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail!

Comment

Working...
                              X