Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Painted Lady's 50" Pompeii

Nic,

Fantastic proportions to your dome! Can you share the inside height of the dome as well as the dimensions of your inner arch? The inner arch looks slightly wider, to accomodate that massive 50" girth!

John

Comment

does forno bravo have plans for an eliptical dome? also sorry for showing my ignorance but how is that an eliptical dome it seems to be circular or is it eliptical in height ?

Sorry for stupid questions but thats how we learn right

ikhan42

Comment

John,

The inside height of the dome is spot on 18 inches, and the inner arch is 11.5 inches, doing my best to stick to proven height ratios there. The inner door width is 24 wide and the arch on the top is the exact same radius as the the oven so that the forms would look complimentary.

Ikhan42,

Forno does not have plans for an elliptical dome Pompeii oven, but if memory serves me right all of their modular kit ovens have a very elliptical profile to them. This oven is technically a half ellipse, looking strictly at the cross section of the dome. The best illustration of the dome's shape are the quick Cad drawings in my first post. As for the footprint, it is a perfect 50" circle, nothing elliptical about it.

Comment

The edge of the dome is really quite close to the fence in one of the pictures, do you think it could pose a problem? If not with the actual heat from the dome what about the heat of the chimney gasses? I'm currently on a build with a similar problem and I still am not 100% happy it will be safe but in the end if I think it's a problem I'll remove the fence and build a wall. Would rather not though as the cost of my build is already way over target!

My oven build:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...hen-14685.html

Comment

Very impressive dome shape, a 72% ellipse. Congratulations.

Comment

Gaucho1-

I'm really not concerned about the fence, it will be 6 inches away from any finished masonry which is well within local building code requirements of airspace from combustibles. Also I am building this on a single piece of property but the owner divided it with a fence so set back issues are not a concern here either.

As for chimney gases, building code requires that the chimney vent 2 feet above all structures within 10 feet of it, so I will be building a structure with a total height of about 11 feet to clear the building to the right of the pizza oven.

I would not worry about the fence, as long as you are insulating and leaving airspace. I looked at your build yesterday and I think it looks fantastic!! Top notch brick work and planning, I think you'll be just fine leaving the fence where it is. Just make sure the oven vent is at least 8 feet from ground level to clear the fence and get the smoke above head level.

Neil- Thank you very much!

Comment

Thanks for that Neil, I feel reasured. All the vents will be at the max permitted height of 2.5m - 8ish feet and yest there will be an airgap of a few inches between the finished insulated dome and the fence.

I've been marvelling at the size and execution of your dome, thats nice work. How long do you think it'll take to fire from cold? Althought come to think about it being a commercial oven it probably won't ever get cold so it's not such a concern.

Looking forward to see it finished...

Comment

Made some more progress the last couple weekends and I let the owner start firing the oven. He's been doing a great job of keeping a fire at about 250 to 300 degrees burning for a solid 10 hours per day. The oven really has not had a chance to cool down since we started and I have yet to see even the faintest of hairline cracks in the dome which really has me surprised, I figured an oven this size could have some serious expansion lines but so far so good.

I need to re-pour the concrete caps at the shoulders of the chimney because I popped the form too soon and one of the caps broke on me. Lesson learned

Here are some pics...

Comment

It's been a busy winter for me so I haven't had time to post pics of the oven. These images are where my part of the project is finished and the owner is taking over with mosaic. This monster cooks like a dream!!!

Comment

Nice job Nic. Now that's a low dome. I have a 60" dia oven with a 23" dome. That was hard enough to build.
                      Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Working...
                      X