• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faith In Virginia
    replied
    Re: Leave a reveal at the entry to the oven

Thanks Dave,

The brick work was a true challenge at times. Once where the dome intersects the arch I was almost in tears trying to figure it out.

Yes I did stand them up on edge and they are sitting on a set laying flat so the oven floor is 7" of mass. My primary purpose is baking bread so I have a large oven mass all around.

I just finished my insulation layer and one coat of hard shell over the insulation. This weekend I'm planning on a large bread bake so I'm excited to see what the oven can do. I had one good batch of bread so far and that was befor the insulation was installed.

Thanks again, Faith

Leave a comment:

• DaveW
    replied

Hi Faith in VA,
    Beautiful brickwork. I see you also went bricks on edge for the oven floor.

Dave

Leave a comment:

• Faith In Virginia
    replied

I would show you mine but I don't know how to post pictures here. My web site is down at the moment.http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/atta...1&d=1287066850

I figured out the picture thing as you can see. This oven is still under construction. Feel free to use the picture if this is what you need I also have other pictures if your interested

Leave a comment:

• Spunkoid
    replied

I left about a 1/2" reveal top and sides. I did not taper the arch entry but cut the door so it was a tight fit. During firing, the door can sit near the front allowing the smoke to go out through the vent. Afterwards, the door can be slide back against the reveal to keep the heat in. I made the door out of cedar and then added an insulative layer on the back of the door.

Leave a comment:

• efleifel
    replied

Thanks, I will try to enforce the bricks without rendering any weight on the arch. We'll see

Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Do you mean that your dome is going to be hanging on your arch? That's ok. Just groove your bricks so they fit to the curve of the arch and fit the round of the dome. Les has some good pictures of that on his thread.

Leave a comment:

• efleifel
    replied

Hello all,

If you look at my pictures you will see that I am close to finishing the dome on my oven. The issue I have is I am confused on the intersection between the dome and the opening, figure 8.3 in the plans on page 35 shows the bricks mortared to the back of the arch, my dome is on both sides of the arch, are there any ideas or pictures that can help me with the intersection?

I would appreciate it.

Thanks

here is the link to the last page:
    My Brick Pizza Oven

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Very cool. I really like the shape of your vent arch -- and definitely; that's a reveal! :-)

You can seal a door against that door frame.
    James

Leave a comment:

• chirobuggy
    replied

thank you for the post this did help me to understand better!

Leave a comment:

• SpringJim
    replied

That's a reveal!

Leave a comment:

• Hagrid
    replied

James
    hope you dont mind i thought i might add my image that shows the internal lip quite well
    Regards
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    Luis,

Done. I left the original photo and the comments, then added your photo. Thanks. The updated page is posted.

I want to take you up on your offer of bread, pizza and firing photos. Let me know the best way of sharing them. I am picturing adding them to existing pages on oven management, pizza, bread, cooking, etc. and even adding new pages. Some things you can only show with a good photo (or a good video, but that is next).

Let me know what works best for you -- you can always email me your favorites, or if they are on a server, I can download them.

You can email me directly at james@fornobravo.com

Thanks.
    James
    Last edited by james; 11-08-2006, 10:34 AM.

Leave a comment:

• arevalo53anos
    replied
    James:

Thanks, I do not mind if you use the picture. By fact it is there just to help who needs.
    By the way, I have a lot of pictures of the various steps in the oven building, as is baking pizzas, bread and so.
    There will be when you need!

Luis

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied
    Luis,
    Your photo is perfect. If you don't mind, I will size it and add it to the published plans. Thanks.

You are right that having a door that seals is important for heat management, steam, and controlling (and killing) the fire.

James

Leave a comment:

• arevalo53anos
    replied
    James:

I have just writing to Jahysea (Santa Helena oven) showing him that their oven did not have any reveal at the entry of the oven.

IMHO it is an important step to close the oven properly when trying to maintain heat in it.

In the following pictures it is possible to see the two soldier bricks presented with the edge to the open landing area. If I could made again I definitively could fix the soldiers with the side stand up to the landing/vent area. In this way could be more easy to grow up with the vent giving more area to lean out the door.

The second picture shows that this reveal, even being sufficient, could had been a little width and more forgiving.

Luis

Leave a comment:

Working...
X