This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Leave a reveal at the entry to the oven

It really isn't that much of a hassle. You just need to slide the door out a couple of inches (my door is about 2 inches thick) and tilt it forward - lifts right out. I would avoid any type of ledge. You will find yourself sliding trays, pots, etc all the way out to the edge of your entry.
    Last edited by Les; 08-24-2011, 09:20 PM.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

This is one pic of what we do. We basically build one small and one slightly larger arch. The smaller one inside becomes the reveal to close the oven off.
      Last edited by Stevenb; 01-29-2013, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Eventually I'll be building an oven at my new house here, having cut my teeth on one at my old house. The oven entrance is occupying an overwhelming amount of the time I think about what it will be like to build this new oven. I previously did cob with some bricks slapped into the lower parts of it, so I haven't really gotten a change to cut firebricks accurately yet. I did not find the plans to be entirely reassuring. I am likely to get into a custom opening due to wanting a very good door to seal the dome off for bread. I also will be building a 48" dome, and will end up with an entrance likely wider than usual, so I'm trying to reconcile that.

We are probably going to do a door like this:

Pizza Oven Doors by Teton Iron

And having read various threads, or rather examined lots of pictures, I will probably do the arch-in-arch. However, I haven't figured out how exactly I'd mount a door like that. I'll probably just engage the merchant on it, but I figure in the end, I'll have to just figure it out when the piece arrives.

Comment

That door offers no insulating properties at all and will just suck the heat right out of your oven.

I must say it looks good though.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Well how much could it suck the heat out of the oven? With my first build, I was not using a door. By the end, I had finally made one, got it wet, put it in the oven, and came out 30 minutes later to see it completely on fire. Oops. It was more annoying than anything since I don't consider myself a carpenter, and don't really want to be one, so the door was clumsily put together. However, it really tempered my desire to use a wooden door at all.

Without the door, I could slow cook some meat overnight with some loose firebricks stacked up in front of the oven. In the morning, I would be down to around 225F from 800-900F. I know people can sustain much higher heat then that, but that might just work against my interests.

Is there an insulating panel of some kind I could mount on the back of a metal door to reduce heat loss? I'm supposing I could try to set that door up so that the loss is less apparent, but I think I'd be needing something that can adhere to the metal, hold up against a whole bunch of steam, and shrug off open flame.

Edit: Apparently they're cool with a making an insulating door, although I don't know what that would entail yet.
            Last edited by Rocko Bonaparte; 04-02-2013, 09:42 PM.

Comment

You really need an insulating door, I didnt have one on my first oven but sure do notice the difference with an insulated door on the second oven.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi I was wondering what people think the advantages are in having the inner arch separate to the vent area. I have noticed that there are a lot of people adding thermal breaks but I have seen a great diagram of a once piece arch vent area that is tapered and also has a reveal.
                Cheers,
                Rosemary

My build so far
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ish-19084.html

Starting out collecting info and materials
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/h...lia-18943.html

Comment

Working...
                X