Non permanent oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non permanent oven

Hi all, longtime reader, first time poster...
    Let me firstly just say thanks to everyone who posts their ideas/opinions/thoughts on this site. You have inspired me to stop dilly dallying around and just DO IT, just build my oven allready (as my friends keep saying).

So, I thought as I'm very close to starting construction I should let you all know my plans. As I am renting the house I am living in, I really can't go ahead and pour foundations, build a permanent brick base and then my oven. So, what I propose to do is build a wooden base/stand upon which I will pour my hearth slab, upon which I will build my oven.

Now, I am not looking for my oven to be portable so much as not to be a permantent fixture. I won't be looking to move it every second weekend, only when the time comes to move, when I will have to hire a forklift and a truck to trnasport it, moving the hearth/oven seperstly to the wooden stand.

This is my plan. I have drawn plans for the wooden stand and how to enclse the hearth in/on it. I am close to ordering the lumber to do so. So I was wondering if anyone out there has done something similiar? Or does anyone see any problems that could occur from my idea?

I would be very much interested to hear any thoughts and or ideas on the subject.

Thanks and keep on truckin'!

Wooden Stand

I'm not in construction but, I see no reason why a properly constructed wooden stand could not be made to work.

I have my hot tub a couple of feet off the ground on a wooden stand. There are 6 ea 6x6 posts sunk a more than a few feet into the ground supporting it and keeping it dead level or I'd have a bunch of cracked fiberglass.

The hot tub does not have a 4 inch thick rebar reinforced slab under it like your oven probably will. To me that means it seems possible to place a really wide and sturdy stand on leveled pavers.

Christo
    My oven progress -
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/c...cina-1227.html
    sigpic

Comment

There's a little clearance to combustibles issue. In fireplace construction, code calls for 12 inches of solid masonry between the firebox and any directly applied wood, like a mantle. If your stand is big enough to keep the framing that far away from the interior of the oven, you should be fine.

Remember - this stuff is heavy. You don't want your oven in a heap. A thought: A dry assembled block stand could go with you when you left, and could be assembled on a base of pounded crushed stone instead of a poured slab.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

A dry assembled block stand is a fine idea!

dmun wrote, in part:

"A thought: A dry assembled block stand could go with you when you left, and could be assembled on a base of pounded crushed stone instead of a poured slab."

(M) I had the same idea but also considered filling the cores of the concrete block with a VERY weak concrete; say 1 part cement to 10 parts of aggregate? That should give some stability but not so much adhesion that separating the blocks when you move would be impossible.

(M) Perhaps dmun, CannuckJim or Fio, who are more experienced with masonry could give you a better idea of the proportions of cement to aggregate to provide some stability without permanence.

Ciao,

Marcel
        "Everything should be made as simple as possible, ...
        but no simpler!" (Albert Einstein)

Comment

Another option

I like the idea of a fully dry stacked block stand on a compressed crushed rock base -- I did that at one of the rental houses, and it worked great (and still works a couple of years later). You could take it out at any time and either reuse, or toss, the blocks. Less than $100 materials.

For the dome itself, you might want to consider pouring your support hearth on the ground in a form. Something like 3 1/2" of reinforced concrete. Let it dry, then set the hearth on the blocks. That way you can come back with a forklift later, and just pick the oven up, and off you go.

Or, you could buy the Forno Bravo Cucina stand (or have your own fabricated).

I know they cost more, but you could also make a fully solid state Casa installation, with SuperIsol below and Insulfrax above, and simply dis-assemble the oven when you want to go. You would break apart the seams where you have Refrax (or any refractory mortar), so then the oven itself, and the insulation, would be ready to go. You lose very little.

I'm thinking of doing that at our new rental house here.

Let us know how it goes.
          James
          Last edited by james; 10-30-2006, 08:46 AM.
          Pizza Ovens
          Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
          X