Chimney Questions & ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney Questions & ID

Can anyone ID the WFO upper right corner of page 58 of the Pompeii pdf. I am not sure if they later enclosed it but would love to see some better quality pics.

Can you build a strictly masonry chimney instead of going to the expense of double stainless steel pipes etc? Or do you have to do the 'liner' (clay or steel) regardless?

Seems to me in the olden days they used to just use brick. Even many of the earthen ovens just let the smoke roll out the front. I suppose this probably isn't as efficient as having a chimney.

Looking to build out in the least expensive way that is still safe and works well.

Thanks,

Jamey

Re: Chimney Questions & ID

You can do it either way, but using a flue liner is preferred. My oven chimney is lined, the BBQ next to it is not.

Comment

Refractory flue tile is so cheap, it would be foolish to build a chimney without it. The lower part of the chimney gets VERY hot, and if you were to build an entirely brick one, at least the first foot or two should be made out of firebrick, which eliminates any cost savings over the lined chimney.

One of the main advantages of lining the chimney is the air gap between the flue tile and the masonry. This effectively insulates the chimney so it's fine to use regular brick and mortar on the chimney structure.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I am clear on the topic now.

Now who can Id that WFO for me? :-)

Tscarborough, cool grill. After seeing your photos, I tracked down the manufacturer, and the grill is quite reasonably priced compared to drop in gas grills etc. I bet the steak tastes better too! Any reason you vented it with a chimney? The pdf says something about better draft across the coals if you put a chimney in. Do you already have a thread on your grill somewhere? Didn't see it in the 'grill' forum.

Jamey

Comment

The main reason I did it was to keep the smoke out of my face. It does provide a nice cross draft on the grill. There are some pictures of the install here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/21/begun-8852-14.html

I decided to do it after the fact.

Comment

Working...
          X