New Vent Instruction Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Vent Instruction Page

I have updated the vent page, with descriptions of the three primary vent design methods (metal, brick and cast), and some new photos. It should be helpful, and I will make this posting sticky.

The page is part of the regular on-line instructions, and is located here:

Pompeii Oven | Brick Oven Vent

James
    Last edited by james; 03-25-2007, 08:01 AM.
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

The pictures are a great addition . I wonder if any discussion of the engineering involved in supporting a brick chimney might also be included? Not that I have great insight into this. I buttressed the sides of my vent as much as I could to support a brick chimney, but I imagine others who have done this might have insights into what is needed to be sure the support is adequate.

Comment

suspended vent

The new vent section is awesome. Came just as I was discussing vents with my build brothers. I think our vent is going to be suspended by a large pole which bends to forty five degrees from the back of the oven, and couples with the one piece chimney and vent. I'm thinking it will slot into two bars which will be cemented into the oven opening arch. We're thinking this will allow us more work area in front of the oven, but are worried about people burning themselves on the vent.. Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Comment

captain

Those pictures are a lot better detail thanks. I started laying out the stand and floor I am getting my material list together so I am hoping to get started friday. Does any one have any thoughts on a trap in the oven floor for ash removel.

Comment

ash dump

An ash dump is not thought to be helpful by people, like James, who have built one. It's easier to remove the ashes with your peal.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Suspended vent

Nick,

You can make a "wall-less" vent without having to suspend it by poles or rods. You can attach it to the enclosure walls, just above the oven door. There are some examples of that design on the oven photos pages.

Now, if you want to suspend the vent for a specific look -- go for it. It could look cool.

The basic issue is that a vent without any side walls can look nice, leaves the whole area in front of the oven open, and still draws well.

Be free....
            James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Ash dump-less

I think there is consensus on that one. The ash dump isn't necessary, is a hassle to install -- and with pizzas flying in and out of your oven, it can even get in the way.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Working...
              X