Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompeii in Nanoose Bay!

Hi, fellow oven-lovers,
    I just posted a brand new thread on our oven build under Brick Oven Photos and am wondering if it should have been posted here instead??
    I want to make sure we share our experience since the forum has been invaluable to us - do I need to move it? If so how?!

UPDATE Nov 1, 2010: Continuing the thread here.....

Cheers,
    Karen

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ose-14632.html
    Last edited by peterlyn; 11-02-2010, 05:58 PM.

Re: Pompeii in Nanoose Bay!

Just leave it here. As a note, keep all your progress in one thread. It's a lot easier for people to follow your progress if you don't create multiple ones.

Enjoy the build!

Les...
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I just ran across the first disconnect. You mentioned in the other thread about the brick count for a 42 inch. I bought 277 for mine. Granted, I tossed a lot of scrap (and bad cuts), but thats what it took.

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Yes, Les, obviously the FB materials list needs updating! I'll have a firm count on ours in the next few days.

Karen

Comment

Finished the dome today - yahoo!

More challenging than Dave predicted and our hats are tipped to all the non-masons who've managed this task! Smiley faces at clean-up today.
          Next, the dome's exterior....

See our thread with more pics here:

Karen

Comment

Looks really nice. Seems like you had a much easier time making the dome than I did. I guess a few years experience helps.
            Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/g...land-8759.html

Member WFOAMBA

Comment

Thanks, dsgreco, 'easier' being relative of course - the air was blue this morning!

Comment

It would seem to make more sense to continue detailing our build on this thread, rather than under Brick Oven Photos, so I will be posting our saga here as we go forward.

Here are a few pics of what has been done so far; the foundation, the floor, the dome and the arch. More pics and original commentary can be found at:

Karen

Comment

The Dome Exterior:
                  This weekend, Dave was able to get more of the high-heat mortar so using his grouting bag, he piped it into every joint around the firebrick. Then he plastered a layer over the whole dome, after covering it first with a coating of Wellbond (construction adhesive) for additional bonding benefit (an old masonry tip).

At the base of the dome, he placed 4? screws about 12? apart all the way around, in preparation for the insulation tomorrow. Rain was expected so he covered it with poly before continuing the next day.

Karen

Comment

The Insulation blanket:
                    Today, Dave cut and placed two layers of ceramic fiber blanket by Cerak (1? thick, 138 kg per m3) over the dome and then used a roll of strand wire (that we have for using with rebar), wrapping it around one screw and then up and over the dome, and repeating, to create a ?web? and hold the blanket in place.

After the insulation was attached, Dave cut and placed steel expanded lath (stucco wire), using the wire and screws to hold it all together. He says he could not have done it half as easily without the wire so was pleased that his idea worked.

Karen

Comment

Mortar Coat:
                      Since vermiculite will not get into the crevices/voids as easily, Dave wanted to put on another layer now. Using a high-strength mix (2:1, type S), he applied this all over the stucco wire using his notched trowel. High-heat mortar is not necessary at this point of course, although the mix is good for 600 degrees.

Rain forecast again, so we covered with poly and will hope for some dry time tomorrow.

Karen

Comment

Karen,
                        Your oven looks clean and sound - very nice. I notice some of the bricks in the arch required a face cut to achieve the desired taper. Did you use a 10" or 14" wet saw for this. I was planning on replacing my 10" saw with another 10", but am not sure it is capable of such a cut. Any input would be appreciated.
                        Thanks,
                        gene

Comment

Gene,
                          Thanks for the compliments - Dave says it is a 14" masonry saw which was only JUST big enough blade for the bricks, so 10" will be too small, I'm afraid.
                          Good luck!

Karen

Comment

Today, Dave continued the arch and vent for the chimney. He used more firebrick to continue the arch leaving the vent opening at the top. He bought 4 sections of 8? x 12? x 12? flue liner and installed the first section. He used regular brick regular bricks beyond the arch area.

Now I?m getting excited! It is beginning to look like something I can definitely cook-in as opposed to a scarily mammoth amount of masonry and concrete off my deck!

Karen

Comment

Looking great Karen...your husband is quite the craftsman Do you know off hand what your final fire brick count was?
                              Thanks again,

gene

Comment

Working...
                              X