Another Texas oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Another Texas oven

Thanks. The oven is performing well. We have only made 2 pizza cooking forays, but they were great.

I have 3 thermocouples all imbedded into the approx center of the bricks. One in the very top center of the brick in the middle of my dome plug, one about halfway down the dome, and one drilled sideways about 9 inches into the floor. If you look closely you can see them in a previous picture. The only data taken so far was my the coast down from the first pzza bake. The curves are very interesting, in that the top temp gradually falls from 594F -223 over 29 hours. The middle actually increased in temp for (382-399) the first 2 hours, then ended up at 226. The bottom rose for 1 hour (312-320) then ended at 177. Interesting that both dome TC's ended up only 3 degrees apart, which makes sense, but good to see. These temps are without a door or anything covering the entry. I have the graph but can't get it sized right to post. I expect the curve to flatten out a bit more over time.

I should hope to be able to make my door next weekend so will see how well that works.

I agree about the surface temp comparison, as that has always been my plan. I have ordered my infrared thermometer and it should be divered by the next pizza bake.

Don't know how long it will take to finish out. The stucco quote was too high, so it looks like I will be doing that myself. Good thing we can't post high res picturers. Thank goodness the stone mason was reasonable, I am tired of masonry. The granite counter should be ready next week, so all I have to do is pour a shelf for it to sit on.
    Wade Lively

Comment

Third picture posted in your first message shows a close-up of your oven floor bricks. I can see what appear to be traces of mortar. Did you mortar your floor bricks together?

Thanks

Comment

Not exactly.

Since I was using Insblok-19 insulation under the floor bricks, I used a notched trowel to spread a thin layer of Heatstop on the bottom of the bricks to get a level floor. When done I had a couple sections where the gaps were a bit larger than I liked. I know ash was probably go to fill those gaps fine, but I couldn't stand seeing them, so I packed some of the left over mortar into the gaps.

Since I haven't posted in a while... For the record here is the latest picture. I have the granite counter top, just waiting on the stone mason the start/finish the stonework.
        Last edited by wlively; 07-12-2007, 06:42 AM. Reason: typos typos
        Wade Lively

Comment

I love the design of your enclosure around the oven. I plan to do one similar to yours but with a metal roof.

Thanks for posting the pics.
          Steve Kennemer
          Austin, TX

Comment

Thanks Kemo.

Here is the latest photo, after the stone mason finished. He even set the counter top for free.
            Wade Lively

Comment

Hey Wade,

Very nice. What are the details on the stone, the granite landing and the stucco type/color? It looks great. Is that a granite slab, with a bulnose? Does it have a color name?

How is she cooking?
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Thanks James.

The stone is Texas Hill country Random chop. The stucco color is a quickcrete brown dye I added to the La Habra Wall one coat scratch and brown so it would look a bit better while waiting on the finish. A stucco expert (friend of a relative) is going to teach me how to apply the Dryvit acrylic sand finish coat, so, I have to wait a while. I still need to finish prepping and base coating the front. I didn't ask the exact color name for the granite, I just picked it out of the scrap pile. Was told it was Sicilian granite and the edge is finished square. I will take a close-up picture and will ask the name.
                Wade Lively

Comment

It sure finished up nice. I like the set-back that goes along the side too. Mine will only have a shelf area in the front but I sure like the look of yours. Great work!
                  Mike
                  "The road of excess leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Comment

Originally posted by wlively View Post

... is going to teach me how to apply the Dryvit acrylic sand finish coat, so, I have to wait a while. I still need to finish prepping and base coating the front.
                    Tell us more. This sounds cool.
                    James
                    Pizza Ovens
                    Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

One more thing.

The granite choice is a really good idea. The landing in front of a pizza oven is much smaller than your basic kitchen re-design. I will bet that you can find a good size piece that matches your oven in the left-over bin of most custom stone supplier companies. The scrap granite is very cheap, and the biggest cost will be the finish edge.

You can even buy the scap piece and cut the back and sides with a diamond blade and a standard skill saw.

Very good.
                      James
                      Pizza Ovens
                      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Congrats! Welcome to the Texas wood burning oven club!!
                        Keller TX
                        Artigiano 39"
                        former Phoenix resident and Pizzeria Bianco fan
                        www.leanblog.org
                        http://mypizzaoven.blogspot.com

sigpic

Comment

All, thanks for the compliments.

James, here is a picture of the granite counter. The granite color is called Santa Cecilia. Turns out it is from Brazil and not Sicily as originally told. I guess I fell for that one! It looks good anyway.

Didn't have a piece of scrap quite long enough. I was worried about the look, since I wanted a full counter overhang, but it turned out rather nice flushed with the stone, I think. You can see a slight miscalculation on the notch for the hearth, so the grout joint is a bit big there. Oh well, it is not like it is an airplane.

I will save my next post for the finished product.
                          Last edited by wlively; 08-08-2007, 06:14 PM. Reason: photo
                          Wade Lively

Comment

Well it is finally complete. Well 99.5 %, stain the soffit and put handles on the doors. I posted a bigger picture in the photo section.

I used LaHabra Wall, a fiber reinforced stucco pre-mix for the one coat scratch and brown coat. I found if you use the bonder you can put it directly on the Durock but lathe made it much easier for a beginner like me to put it on the wall. Over that went 2 coats of DryVit acrylic stucco finish. What great stuff, sticks to anything and premixed, so pull it out of the bucket and put it on. A base flat coat and then when that was firm the texture coat. Thank goodness for in-laws, because I don't think I could have got the texture to match the house on my own. He let me do a 2ft section of the back, then said "you get the idea, now I don't want to be here all day, so I will finish".

Thanks again to James for the site and everyone else here for all the great advice, photos, and interesting discussions.
                            Wade Lively

Comment

Look Great! Congrats!!
                              My Oven Thread:
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...-oven-633.html

Comment

Fantastic effort! Well done.

Comment

Working...
                                X