42" Pompeii Build in Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" Pompeii Build in Oregon

I thought I would start posting pictures of my build. Things have moved along nicely since my start on September 9. I am building a 42" Pompeii style oven. These pictures are through the construction of the base and hearth.

A huge thanks to everyone that has helped answer my questions!
    Last edited by lhuhn; 10-27-2010, 06:15 PM.

Re: 42" Pompeii Build in Oregon

Did you put the board down and then put a surrounding layer of vermiculite/concrete mix?
    Was that for more thermal mass? I really like your supporting 2x4s around the slab form. Nice work.
    Mike

Comment

Good thus far, how is it going now? I am in the process of building mine. I found this site after I started the base, but think that the 42" pompeii is the way to go so are going to change my plans.
      Kriso

Comment

Mike
        Looks good, I have just found this site and are now going to change my plans to a 42" pompeii, I have already built the base and are about to float the slab. do you know how heavy the 42" is? I am a Aussie in NZ and finding sourcing a issue. Has anyone ever used pumice as a substitute for vermiculite as it is heaps cheaper.
        Kriso

Comment

Mike, I put the FB Board on top of the 3 1/2" structural pour and then poured an additional 2" around the 2" FB Board. Only did this to create a flat surface on which to work. I didn't like having the edge of the FB Board exposed because I was concerned that it would break down on the edges as I worked on the oven floor and dome. I don't believe this affected the thermal mass or insulation characteristics, good or bad as the oven itself still sits entirely on the FB Board.

The 2x4's around the perimeter of the hearth pour worked out perfectly to keep the forms from bulging. I made the 3 1/2" pour then we added a 2" piece and did the second pour.
          Last edited by lhuhn; 10-27-2010, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Did you fill the base side voids at the same time you poured the slab? Can't really tell from the photos and am trying to decide how to approach this myself.

Jim
            Battle Ground, WA

Comment

Working...
            X