Round shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Round shape

No reason to float the vermicrete; it won't smooth it out appreciably. I just screed mine to level it.

It's a concrete product, so misting it while it cures won't hurt it. I put loose plastic over mine to protect it from falling debris/the neighborhood cats. Since I poured my vermicrete when the temperature was down, it held moisture pretty well for a couple days before settling down to a nice solid cure.

Comment

"-Do I keep it wet/spray it down? "

Keep it continuously wet for at least a week. Do not allow to dry out.

Comment

I cut the FB board to fit on top of the Vermicucrete. It doesn't seem super level (different thickness of the board). I was thinking of spreading a layer of the fireclay/sand mix to give it a soft landing. With all the cutting of the bricks do i use the stuff at the bottom of the water tray? Do I need to use sand? This stuff feels very fine (what is the sand for in the mix).

Thanks Guys
        Mike

Comment

I will put down the floor and see how level it is and then put a thin layer of brick dust/sand mix as needed.

- I feel so close to really get going. I have cut the first two rings and the arch for the entry. I need a good solid day (no kids) to get everything were I want it to be.

Mike

Comment

I put down sand and fireclay "mortar" on top of my insulation, then leveled the bricks as needed with a rubber mallet. It smoothed all the imperfections in both brick and the vermicrete I put below the insulation. You'll be just fine with your plan.

Comment

I have 2 rows of bricks cut and the arch bricks ready to go. I built the form for the arch, but how does one clean up the joints on the bottom side? Do you build the arch, let it set overnight and then clean them up the next day? I am going to use FB mix mortar. Won't the mortar be hard by then to clean up.

Does anyone have any advice for cleaning the joints in the arch (timing?).

Thanks.
              Mike

Comment

What shape is the arch going to be i.e. is it a hemisphere? I did mine without a form and was able to clean it straight away. The trick is to get access to the arch before the mortar goes off too far to clean it. Depending on the shape, if its a hemisphere, you should be able to remove the form straight away as it should be self supporting.

Comment

Thanks guys-

I got a good start yesterday, I morated the first row down (together) to give a solid base to do the arch and another row today. I did the Arch with the form and then slowly took it out to fill in the voids and clean up the joints. It all stood firm. But I very carefully put it back after touching everything up just to be super safe.

Those little pie shaped pieces (pac-man looking) by the arch are hard to do, but it seems par for the course.

Mike

Comment

Nice-lookin' arch, Mike. Very clean. Looking forward to the rest of your build.

John

Comment

• Re: Round shape

Got a couple more rows done in the rain over the weekend. I think the mortaring is getting easier but the cuts are getting more complicated.

I think I might have a design flaw. I can see the teardrop over the arch coming, and I think it is because my arch is too far forward. If the arch was farther inside the dome the round shape would rest on the arch, but with the arch too far forward the dome falls inside the top of the arch.

This might be why people get the teardrop. I don't remember reading about this in the plans or on any other threads.

-I put my arch on the outside of the round floor shape as in the inside edge touched the circle. I think if you push the arch inside so the outside edge of the arch is what touches the circle you wouldn't have a teardrop issue.

Anyway here are a few pictures and yes that is a chicken in the last pic.

Comment

Farms in Berkeley??????.....where did that chicken come from? I went to school at UC Berkeley and saw many strange things but never a chicken. Anyway, your oven looks great. Once you close the dome, you'll never see the tear-drop.
                        Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Yes that's right. Berkeley Farms, you know were all Hippies here in crazy town. No seriously we do have 8 chickens and the fresh eggs are fantastic. They will be going on the pizzas (the eggs that is not the chickens).

- thanks for the look at my oven, I know once I close it in nobody will know but me (and all you guys).

-I do think this would be helpful in the plans or online in the "opening size sticky".

Mike

Comment

Yes I agree, it would make the sizing and locating the door opening easier. Now that we are in the Philippines, everyone has a chicken in the backyard, including us. We have about 35 native chickens, 8 sheep and 2 wild boar. Although, I have been missing the Bay Area lately. Always loved those Berkeley Farms commercials......FARMS IN BERKELEY?????
                            Our Facebook Page:http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoneh...60738907277443

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              -I put my arch on the outside of the round floor shape as in the inside edge touched the circle. I think if you push the arch inside so the outside edge of the arch is what touches the circle you wouldn't have a teardrop issue.

Anyway here are a few pictures and yes that is a chicken in the last pic.
                              Yes, the outside edge to avoid the dome going inside the top of th arch. I had to draw it to scale to make sure mine worked out. The tear drop shape will happen either way unless you are absolutly diligent with keeping the dome round and have a tool to ensure the shape. even with an indispensible tool as mentioned in these forums mine tended a little out of round near the arch. This happens because to tranition to the arch you have to use unusual shaped pieces and therefore tend to straighten out the transition.
                              once you are past the arch you can pull it back into shape. I used a couple of rings of fencing wire adjusted to the correct size to get back to round.

Comment

I saw how you pulled it back into round form, I like the use of the metal rings. I will keep that in mind when I proceed. At lest no one will see that top inside area of the dome, unless they stick their head in (in might be a bit hot in there during a pizza party).

Mike

Comment

Working...
                                X