Chch NZ build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chch NZ build

Hey john how you finding the heat holding of the bricks so far?
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/o...-nz-14012.html

Comment

My heat gun that is sometimes used to help fire the oven.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

If your oven is new the moisture in it will tend to make the fire a bit smokey initially. After heavy rain or wet wood, the same problem. I usually pre heat some wood in the entry before throwing it on the fire. When maintaining a "fire on the side" this technique works well if you use small sticks, they burst into flame immediately and give you an oven light.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Can't really comment on heat retention as i have only had relatively brief low temp fires ie upto 250 C with last one. I need to be brave an set a major fire.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
            If your oven is new the moisture in it will tend to make the fire a bit smokey initially. After heavy rain or wet wood, the same problem. I usually pre heat some wood in the entry before throwing it on the fire. When maintaining a "fire on the side" this technique works well if you use small sticks, they burst into flame immediately and give you an oven light.
            Thanks for the advice. I have been placing the fires to the side and the idea of putting some wood in the entry to pre heat is goood one. I must say the hot air gun really helps.

Comment

John,
              Don't be in a hurry. if you've only got to 250 then don't jump to a really big fire yet. Have patience, start using the heat in the oven to cook bread but dont try to get to pizza temp yet or you will experience cracks in the outer shell.

Comment

After a beak for christnas etc - moved onto insulation. Fitted 2 layers of blanket and covered with chicken wire. I haven't quite resolved how to complete the wire frame around the vent and ss chimney. Looking to vermicrete over the wirw next. Not really looking forward to dealing with that stuff again as i found getting the mix to the correct consistency tricky.

Comment

John,
                  I've mixed up tons of this stuff and I agree with you that it is difficult to get the right consistency. I've found that if you are applying it by hand and want it to stand vertically then for every 10 L vermiculite add 3 L water. I usually use 10:1 vermiculite, cement but if you want it stronger around the flue add a bit more and also the equivalent amount of lime, then a dash more water to account for the extra dry materials added.It is so easy to think that the mixture is too dry. If you add too much water the materials start to separate.

Comment

Bit the bullet and moved onto wermicrete of the insulated dome. I really find the material disconcerting to use. However, followed Davids advice and was confident of the right consistency. As many have commented it was difficult to get the material to stick to the more upright sections, so after putting a deep 10 to 1 mixture on the top I add some lime and a bit more mortar to produce a more sticky texture. I also used a wattle and duab technique - taking some mixture in hand and squeezing together. Then applying that clump onto the frame - with a bit of pressing with the palm to flatten out. I then gradually merged these clumps being as careful as possible not to disturb the rest. I don't know if it is the best method but it worked. Unfortunately must of used too much on top as i ran out of vermiculite so i did not complete the covering. I will finsh next week and be pleased to have done with vermicrete!!

Comment

Fot those concerned we have survived the huge quake yesterday. A lot of destruction around City. My family are alll okay others are not so lucky. The oven will have to wait to be finished!!

Comment

Hi John, it was a good one alright, good to hear you and your family are ok.

Comment

After the quake, I had some concern for you folks in the Christchurch and the surrounding area and hoped for the best. Being born and raised in Southern California, quakes are a personal thing, I’ve been through a few large ones and expect to see a few more. Take care of your family and neighbors I send my best wishes, prayers if you will.

Sincerely

Chris

Comment

Managed to find time to put the scratch coat on the dome. Not something i have done before but after a while ifound it went pretty smoothly. Overall happy with shape. Of course the inevitable aftershocks then promptly rolled in with 4 over 4 so far. Fortunately no damage to report.
                            Weighing up whether to add acrylic and colour to final coat or to go with paint.
                            Any advice out there as to the best procedure in terms of waterproofing and longevity?

Comment

I can't speak to stucco over an igloo, I chickened out and went with a house style. I decided that I had more control over where the water was going to go.

Good to hear that with all of the shaking, you and yours are safe.

Chris

Comment

Hi John,
                                What state is your oven at? being probally buried under snow at the moment and the after shocks wouldn't have helped? did you ever get it cured?
                                Regards
                                Bart

Comment

Working...
                                X