36" Pompeii oven in North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 36" Pompeii oven in North Carolina

Am I crazy if I have a stack of firewood for a wood fired oven ...
    but have not finished the oven .....
    Not in the least... I too am only halfway through my build and yesterday went and picked up a brand new 6 QT cast iron dutch oven (4-pc set) off Craigslist for $45.

You're just thinking ahead...

Comment

Originally posted by stephen*z View Post
      Am I crazy if I have a stack of firewood for a wood fired oven ...
      but have not finished the oven .....

How about if I have already made most of the tools needed to cook in the oven...
      but have not finished the oven.......yet?

Steve
      Yea but now when your oven is done, your ready to cook right away, rather than wait on getting tools/wood!

Comment

I got back out there today and started the floor and the arch.
        1) What does everyone think about an arch without as many bricks?
        it is still the right height and everything... just seemed easier for the inside arch.
        check out the photo below.

2)here are some of my tools... the brick setting tool is simple but effective, and it only took me about 15 min to make it.
        the other thing is my brick crushing tool...again simple but effective!

and one photo of the floor....thought that would be easy..... boy was I wrong...took me about an hour to get it flat.
        living in Coastal NC
        more details of the build at:
        http://Stevespizzaoven.wordpress.com

Comment

Looks great what you have done so far.

I have great concerns about your arch design. I'm not great with words while typing this is one of those times I would need my hands to assist in what I'm trying to say. but I will give it a try.

First concern is your two lower arch supports the pressure of the arch will make those two bricks (tops) push out thereby increasing the risk of the arch failing.

second concern is the thinness of the arch. I think as you build the dome you will have some forces that would want to push the arch out towards the opening thereby breaking the arch. In short just not strong enough.

This is a great page that can explain things better.Auroville Earth Institute, training courses, workshops on Vaults, Arches, Domes(VAD), stabilized rammed earth walls, compressed earth blocks, vaulted structures, compressed stabilised earth blocks, rammed earth.

Hope this helps, Faith

Comment

I like the arch....Is that a metal form behind the bricks? I hope so, I fear Faith has a valid point there.

I am watching you closely today because I'm going to play with setting the floor of my oven today too

Any reason you made a break in the floor bricks between the oven and the oven landing? I have not seen that before and don't plan to do that......?

Looking good
            Last edited by Lburou; 01-19-2011, 11:58 AM.
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Any reason you made a break in the floor bricks between the oven and the oven landing? I have not seen that before and don't plan to do that......?

the break in the floor is where the ash dump is located. I plan on having a brick covering it most of the time and then be able to take it out when I need to use the trap door. as of right now none of that is set in just yet.
              I wanted the hearth floor to be done with the herringbone design and then the hearth door area to be streight bricks comming out.
              all that shoule clean up and look better as I pregress with the design.
              living in Coastal NC

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post
                Looks great what you have done so far.

I have great concerns about your arch design. I'm not great with words while typing this is one of those times I would need my hands to assist in what I'm trying to say. but I will give it a try.

First concern is your two lower arch supports the pressure of the arch will make those two bricks (tops) push out thereby increasing the risk of the arch failing.

second concern is the thinness of the arch. I think as you build the dome you will have some forces that would want to push the arch out towards the opening thereby breaking the arch. In short just not strong enough.

Hope this helps, Faith
                that is just the info I was looking for.... so the arch should be made of bricks with the wide side touching inorder to get more pieces in there?
                it seams the curve of the arch would have alot to do with it also. I matched the metal frame to some arches I had seen being used on other ovens. do you think it is too shallow?

It should be warming up some in VA about now.... building soon?
                Steve
                living in Coastal NC

Comment

Arch height is determined by your interior oven height. There is a magic number 63% so the top of your lowest arch should be 63% of your internal oven height. A low arch will need a wider support as the base of your opening a high arch will require less. But when your dealing with a constant such a brick size I don't think adjusting up or down will affect the amount of base support needed as long as you make a sufficient base. My next oven I will lay them flat with the long side of the brick facing out.

I went too small on my arch base and had some arch problems so I made some changes to correct that problem. Next time I will do it correctly from the start. Live and learn or make mistakes and learn.

My oven is up and running and I was thinking of some bread this weekend (Sourdough) I'm thinking about waiting till spring to first move the oven, I have it set in a temporary location, then dress up the exterior once it's in the final location.

I have two thoughts on location one is just behind the house. Problem is I would need to relocate the dog yard, not an easy thing for me or the dogs. The second is an addition just off the kitchen on the side of the house and put the oven in an exterior wall.

I added a picture of my arches, this base was too small
                  Faith
                  Last edited by Faith In Virginia; 01-19-2011, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Faith,
                    what do you mean by "the base was too small"? It looks great to me, or am I reading it wrong?
                    living in Coastal NC

Comment

Stephen *Z

No you read it correctly. After a few firings where the oven got to temp the two bricks that are standing up, the ones holding up the arch...the arch base, Things started to move. So the radius of the arch caused the bottom of the arch to spread outwards. So the bottom of the arch to the standing brick (arch base) moved. Now the keystone had more room and started to slip down.

So what I ended up doing was I fixed the arch and put it back in the original place. Then I put a layer about 1 inch of Portland cement and vermiculite then made a form around the arch and poured concrete in with rebar. The arch can't move now and the concrete form will become a part of the oven covering so a nice stone veneer will dress it up nicely...A project for the spring.

Here is a picture of my fix,

Comment

Here Perhaps this will help you understand what my arch did.

Comment

Segmental arches have to be buttressed, and it takes more than you think to do so. That is one of the things I notice on about 70% of the ovens on this site.

Your fix is a good one.

Comment

tscarborough,
                            It looks like your arch continues all the way to the ground thus transfering the force to the base, insted ot to the sides. That seems to look like it would work more as one curve than as an arch on a stand.
                            SZ
                            living in Coastal NC

Comment

I have another crazy check I need to make....

while I am not able to get out and do work on the oven due to the weather...I am able to work on other things.

I made a stainless steel turning peel and 16 inch pizza peel. I was at the steel yard and found some stainless sheets in the drop pile. I brought it home and after a little computer drawing time we were at the CNC plasma cutting them out. they turned out nice and clean looking. will probably add Oak handles to them sometime this week.

Someone please tell me I am not crazy for making the tools before I can even use them! this is getting to be a habit....or is it an obcession?
                              living in Coastal NC

Comment

Originally posted by stephen*z View Post
                                or is it an obcession?
                                Youll get used to being obsessed with fire and pizza, resistance is futile.
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X