Cracks in thermo mass, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracks in thermo mass, what to do?

I finished building my dome and covered the dome 4 days ago with 1 inch of refractory mortar covered it with blankets and plastic sheeting. This morning I looked at it and it looked liked a map, many small hair line cracks everywhere. Is this something I should worry about? Should I add another coat of mortar? I'm going let it sit for a week and do a slow 6 or 7 day low to high ramp fire, before covering it in ceramic cast, then ceramic blankets and render it in stucco. I think another coat of mortar is over kill. Lets hear what you think. Thanks in advance for your response.

Pompeii in Japan

Laurentius

Re: Cracks in thermo mass, what to do?

How to get this off of "Forum Guidelines"?

Comment

Hairline cracks in your parging coat of refractory mortar are nothing to worry about. No one will ever see it. It's unlikely to fall off, and even if it did you still have lots of thermal mass. Your plan to proceed sounds like a good one.
      My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Laurentius,

Where in Japan are you? Would love to see photos of your build.

John

Comment

Hi Gianni,

I'm in a small coastal town named Kamogawa, in Chiba-ken, a 2 hour train ride from Tokyo. I'll make some photos in the next few days. My chimney arrived yesterday. The info from the forum, made it so easy.

Laurentius

Comment

Don't worry about the cracks. Cracks in the thermal mass are almost inevitable.

Comment

Working...
            X