captain: the harth is done.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• captain: the harth is done.

I finished the harth on saterday and all went well I am taking photos of all the steps as well as keeping a log I am just not to good with the computer yet but I will post all. The mixture of the vermiculite went rater well can some one tell me how hard that will get I remember seeing that some one was concerned about fastining the framing for the encloser and I am a little concerned as well. Also I cadalievered the harth over the stand about 8 inches thinking this might look nice as well as add a little more work space but it looks like I my have a problem with reaching into the dome to light fire and clean out ash does any one have any ideas on that other wise I am getting excited on starting the actual oven. Thanks again for all the info.

Starting a fire - look for postings by MUSA. I think he used a modified flame thrower.

Cleaning out the ash - Look in the on-line store section of FB they have a rake with a long hendle that will work nicely.

A link to the rake is...
    http://fornobravo.com/store/product....cat=249&page=1

Comment

You know you are getting closer when you start thinking about cooking -- not about all the concrete dust.

I have missed Robert's postings -- I wonder what he's up to. It was a result of his flamethrower videos that I started using a propane torch to start lighting my oven.

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

starting fire

Try building the fire in the vent area and pushing it back - I usually arrange a few larger wood pieces with some newspaper in the oven before this, but you could reverse it - start a smaller fire, push it back, add some smaller pieces to build a good flame and then start adding bigger pieces.

As far as starting with propane, I have not had any trouble starting with match and a little newspaper since I started kiln drying my wood with the residual oven heat after I am finished with baking. Well dried wood starts ridiculously easily. In our wet Pacific Northwest I was unaware what dry wood was like before starting this technique.

Comment

I seem to be at the same stage as you are! I'll be laying the hearth bricks tomorrow, as soon as I get a notched trowel.

The perlite/cement has set up very well, I poured it about a week ago. However, the surface is brushing off in some places. I suspect this is because I sprayed it a little to aggresively too keep it from drying too quickly, and I rinsed off the cement! I still don't think anchors will hold well, so I'll have to develop my strategy as it's time to finish the oven.

-Chris
          -Chris-
          I'm building a Pompeii Oven in Austin, Texas. See my progress at:
          Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

captain

I will be away for a week so all will be on hold. Last night I striped the forms from the hearth and every thing realy came out great, in fact I laid out the oven floor bricks in a herring bone pattern just to see how it will look, I am realy geeting excited.The candeleiver is not as bad as i thought with the forms out of the way I think it will be fine. What type of wood do you find to be the best to use. Thanks again for all the info.

Comment

Looking forward to the fire

Captain,
              You can burn almost any mid to heavy grain wood. Oak and fruit/nut woods are all very good. Don't burn pine, cedar and fir -- as they are sappy and soft, put out a lot of black smoke, and don't add much to the fire heat. You might also want to avoid Eucalyptus because of the sap and popping.

Lot's to look forward to.
              James
              Pizza Ovens
              Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

captain

chris i am looking at you site and it looks like little italy in ny am i right if it is we might know each other. good luck with your oven i will be away for 5 days so cant do much. I just striped my form and all came out real good and is curring nicely. Keep in touch
                Ronnie

Comment

The banner graphic on my blog is just the default one that wordpress put up there! It seemed to fit well enough that I haven't bothered to change it yet.
                  -Chris-
                  I'm building a Pompeii Oven in Austin, Texas. See my progress at:
                  Il Forno Fumoso

Comment

Re: captain: the harth is done.

Regards wood James eucalyptus works pretty well out here in Oz.
                    Cheers,
                    Rosemary

My build so far
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ish-19084.html

Starting out collecting info and materials
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/h...lia-18943.html

Comment

Working...
                    X